Chapter 10

Troye awkwardly tried to adjust his collar. He wasn’t sure if the look was quite right for the red carpet. He tugged at the bottom of his shirt and bit his lip. He wanted to be taken seriously, as a musician and as an actor, but most people seemed to brush him off as a Youtube star. As if it was even a bad thing to be.

            “You look great.” Connor was scrolling through Twitter while Troye tucked and un-tucked his shirt for the fifteenth time.

            “I don’t know. Do I look too Youtube? Or like I’m fifteen?” Troye was aggressively gnawing at his bottom lip by this point.

            “No. You look great. Stop worrying.” Connor walked over and put an arm around Troye, smiling at their reflection in the mirror. “Now what should I wear? I wanna keep it pretty simple. Tonight is for you and Cas.”

            Troye couldn’t help but smile, “Well I’d be fine seeing you in my sweater.” They both laughed and Troye fiddled with Connor’s sleeve, which he thought looked better on Connor than it ever had on him.

            Connor ended up wearing a simple black button down. They were fixing their quiffs when Caspar walked in.

            “Hey! You guys ready for our moment in the spotlight? You both look very dapper.”

            “Is everyone here yet?” Troye asked, “I want us all to get a photo together.”

            “Yeah! I’m meeting all the Mellet’s, Troye, it is very exciting. I feel like one of the family!”

            Connor thought Caspar’s childlike exuberance was exactly what Troye needed. He looked like he was about to get run over, not attend the premiere of the movie he was starring in. Connor knew it got to Troye, the constant comments on his career or the choices that he made, the joking derision he got whenever an interviewer called him a “Youtube celebrity”, the way people acted like his success was merely the product of a young, impressionable fanbase rather than through any talent or work of his own. They both tried to ignore the constant barrage of criticism, and they usually succeeded. After all, they didn’t actually believe those things about themselves, but on nights like this, when the pressure was on and everyone seemed to stare at you, waiting for you to slip up, it was enough to make anyone nervous.

            They all headed downstairs to the car, where Troye’s family was waiting. Tyde and Steele looked as handsome as ever, and Laurelle was crying. After their picture together, she insisted on one with “just the boys” meaning Caspar, Troye, and Connor. Connor felt Caspar firmly grasp his shoulder as he towered far over him, and Troye reached to grab Connor’s waist, tracing a small circle right over his hip. He could barely contain his smile.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

            “I can’t do this.” Troye’s eyes were huge and his lips were pressed together in a thin line. His knuckles were turning white as he gripped the gate near the entrance.

            “It’ll be fine, Tro.” Connor gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. “The movie is great and everyone is here just to see you in it. It’ll be fun. We’ll see Caspar and Blessing, and as soon as you’re done, I’ll be right here waiting for you.” He glanced around quickly to make sure no one was watching and gave Troye a quick peck on the lips.

            “Go. Have fun, and remember to smile.”

            Troye was a little shaky for his first few pictures, but slowly relaxed and gave real, genuine smiles. When he was done he ran up to Connor, who was waiting patiently with his mom, and gave him a soft, sweet kiss.

            “Sorry.” Troye turned a bright shade of red as his mom raised her eyebrows.

            “Oh sweetie, as if I didn’t already know.” Laurelle smirked and said "The whole family thinks your cute so I wouldn't worry about it dear. Just remember that safe sex video!"

       Troye turned to a shade resembling an overripe tomato, but Connor just laughed.

        "I like your family, Tro."

        "Well I think they like you too, Con."

        They stood together grinning for a few minutes until Caspar ran up to drag them off.

Kissing is a means of getting two people so close together that they can't see anything wrong with each other.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

so basically Connor was the only one there who had no real reason to be there. . . . . .except to support his boyfriend ;)