Chapter Three

Lynn made it to the kitchen first, now dressed in white shorts and a navy blue, sleeveless button up. She kept her hair in the bun, not feeling like fixing it.

She pulled out a container of vanilla ice cream and was on a mission to find the scooper when Reece walked in.

He now wore a black t-shirt and jeans. "Looking for something?"

"Yes- no, I found it." Lynn pulled the utensil out. "Got it."

Reece knew he was doing something right. Adalynn finally seemed to be relaxing around him. But he couldn't relax too. He had a job to do, a goal to reach.

"Is vanilla your favorite?" He asked, sitting himself on a stool.

"I don't have a favorite." Lynn been scooping.

Reece noticed the diamond bracelet dangling at her wrist. That was probably worth a lot of money. "You had that bracelet last night. Favorite accessory?"

Lynn stopped, looking down at the bracelet. "Um... This was my mother's. I keep it with me because it... Feels like she's always with me."

"Oh." Reece remembered that Mrs. Caine passed away a little over ten years ago after she caught some sort of sickness. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I mean, it was almost eleven years ago." Lynn continued scooping. She really missed her mom. But that wasn't something to discuss with Reece.

Reece didn't really know what to say. "You okay?"

Lynn nodded. "Yes, don't worry, Reece." She pushed a bowl of ice cream to him. "Enjoy. It's my personal recipe."

Reece snorted. "Well made, Princess."

Lynn put the ice cream away and sat across from Reece as she ate. "Ice cream is the perfect thing to eat at any given time."

"Noted."

Miss Sanders walked in at that moment. "Oh, Adalynn found the ice cream again."

Reece recognized the dark haired woman as Adalynn's nanny. "You must be Miss Sanders."

"Yes I am." She opened the fridge. "Mr. Caine and the others are nearly back."

Reece noticed Adalynn tense. He now knew that she was only preparing to fake it. For some reason, that made him a little angry. Adalynn was just fine as herself.

"If you don't mind, I'll avoid them all." Lynn declared.

Miss Sanders hummed. "At least say hello before you disappear."

"You're not going to disappear on me, are you Adalynn?" Reece acted hurt.

Lynn shrugged. "I can't help it. My fairy godmother's spell only lasts so long."

Reece nodded. "I see." He hadn't known if he could get her to open up, let alone come alive like this. But he had established trust in the pool. He supposed that was the key.

Miss Sanders' phone beeped. "They're back."

Lynn really didn't want to see those men. Not even her father. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

Reece noticed. "You can escape, Adalynn. I'll be just fine."

Lynn felt guilty. "Are you sure, Reece?"

He nodded. "Today was fun. And we no longer hate each other." He joked.

"Well... Slightly less, anyway." Lynn gave a teasing smile.

Reece returned the smile. "I'll see you around, Princess. Go disappear."

Lynn was grateful. That was way nice of him. "Thanks. Bye, Toad." She left the kitchen before the guilt could get to her.