Chapter Nineteen

Lynn was pulled awake by a small sound echoing in the cold, dark room. She lifted her head, wondering what on Earth that noise was. Reece was still asleep behind her, cuddling her close for warmth.

She slowly pulled herself from his gentle hold and inched toward the small, scraping noise coming from the door, sliding across the dirty floor since she was still tied.

When she finally made it to the door, the noise had stopped. But she saw the source. Glinting in the dim light leaking from under the door, was a small razor blade.

Hope kicked up in her heart. The man who gave her water was probably the one that slid this blade under the door. He was trying to help.

Lynn grabbed the blade with fumbling fingers. They were going numb from the tightness of the ropes. She took it in her teeth and began sawing at the ropes on her wrists, ignoring the cold of the metal on her teeth.

At the back of the room, Reece didn't move from where he was, which was worrisome. He had passed out from the pain, and Lynn had looked over him, seeing the true extent of his injuries. He needed a hospital, even before Brighten took the belt to his back.

It took awhile, but the ropes finally fell loose and Lynn shook them off. She got to work on cutting her feet free. The small blade broke, cutting her fingers, but the ropes were loose enough now that she could pull them off.

Once she was free she ran back over to Reece. She lightly touched his face. His skin was cold.

"Reece?" She whispered. "Reece, wake up."

Loud footsteps sounded on the stairs, coming down to the basement, and fear jumped through her.

"They been quiet in there, Jim?" Brighten's rough voice came.

There was no audible response, but Brighten was coming toward the room.

Lynn thought fast. She grabbed the wrench that he had thrown at Reece and flattened herself against the wall beside the door. She was shaking as she held the heavy wrench like a bat.

The lock clicked open on the door  and it swung open, spilling weak light into the room. Seconds later, Brighten stepped in. "What? Where's the-"

Lynn jumped out and swung the wrench hard, hitting the back of Brighten's head. He hit the ground with a thud and didn't move.

She dropped the wrench, shocked at what she just did. Reece was still unmoving in the corner. She knew that she had to get Reece help, but she was far too small to carry him out.

Lynn wasn't going to abandon him, but she was getting help. All she needed was a phone. She hopped over Brighten's body and ran out to the main part of the basement.

The man that helped her, Jim, was sitting on the couch reading a book. He glanced at her briefly and then got up and left.

As surprised as she was, Lynn couldn't stay. She ran up the stairs, and the door at the top was thankfully open. She cracked it open, peeking out to see that it was early morning. Downstairs, you could hardly tell night from day.

All was quiet, so Lynn ventured out, listening for the slightest noise. She moved through the living room, looking to see if they happened to have a home phone. Doubtful.

She searched around, careful not to make a sound. So far it seemed there was no such thing as a phone in this place.

Then she felt stupid. Brighten had to have a phone on him, right? He was obviously still knocked out cold since the house had remained silent.

Afraid to go near the man again, Lynn went back to the basement, creeping down the stairs. She went over to the room and she could plainly see Brighten still laying on the floor.