Chapter Six

"Really?" Quentin, Reece's friend shook his head. "You almost kissed your target?"

Reece raked his hands through his hair, staring at the ceiling from where he laid on the couch. "I don't know, man. I just... I almost lost it."

"What happened, dude? I'll be the judge of it."

He sighed. "All I'm going to say is that I might not have stopped if Grandfather didn't call."

Quentin gave a low whistle. "She really must be something if you're losing it like this."

Reece shot upright, facing his blonde friend. "I'm not... It's not like that. It's just that usually the girls on my jobs are making every move. They make things simple, and I take their money and go."

"Yet with this one, you've done everything." Quentin filled in. "Look man, you're doing your job. This girl is more difficult, so you're taking the right steps to get it done. Don't worry, dude."

Reece didn't respond. If he kissed a target, she was the one to do so first, and he never felt anything.

But yesterday with Lynn... Reece wasn't even thinking of the job, let alone thinking straight. He nearly kissed her! He could have ruined the whole mission.

Why was he feeling so conflicted?

* * *

Lynn couldn't stop thinking about Reece's lips at her ear and his hair against her face. She couldn't stop thinking about his low voice and his cologne that made her mind fly out the window.

Stop Adalynn. He was messing around, don't act like such a middle schooler.

She focused on the paperwork in front of her and played music from her phone to help distract herself.

That seemed to help.

Mr. Caine came in around lunch and have her more paperwork. "There you go, more to finish."

"Dad." Lynn said, stopping him from leaving.

He faced his daughter. "What, darling? I'm very busy."

Lynn knew he didn't mean it to, but those words stung a little. "Um-" the words caught in her throat. Talking to him about this didn't seem right. "I love you."

He smiled softly. "Love you too, Flower." He left the little office.

Lynn slumped in her chair. She glanced at her phone and decided to call Eva. She wanted another opinion.

Eva answered on the third ring. "Oh, hey Lynn. Aren't you working?"

"Not at the moment. Eva... I need your thoughts on something."

"Shoot away, Lynn. I'm now very curious."

Lynn chewed her lip. "Um. Don't say anything until I'm done, okay?"

"Yes ma'am."

Lynn swallowed. "Reece came by yesterday, sort of out of the blue. We went and got some fast food and sat on his car on the beach as we ate." She could already feel her cheeks heating, so she spat out the rest of the story.

When she finished, the other end was silent for a moment.

Then Eva screeched and Lynn flinched.

"Eva? Did you die?"

"Does that sound like he was still playing around, Lynn?!"

"Don't be ridiculous-"

"Lynn." Eva interrupted. "Think about it. If Reece didn't get that phone call, what would have happened? He would have kissed you senseless!"

Lynn coughed violently and she grew impossibly redder. She gulped down her water. "Eva!" She finally managed. "That's not funny. Seriously, I think he was still playing around and I just... have a strange head."

"Girl, do you know how many people I date? I think I would know what a guy or girl wants. It's so obvious, Lynn. Reece wants you."

Lynn's mind brought up a mental image of Reece's face mere inches from her, grinning deviously. "Why so speechless?"

"Eva, what do I... What do I do?"

"Sorry, Lynn. I can't really say. If you see him again, just be normal, casual. He acted normal right after that, so he either doesn't realize what he was doing, or he's hiding it, waiting for the right time."

Lynn rubbed her face. "I'll pretend he was playing around. Besides, I don't think I'll see him again."

"Doesn't hurt to hope. Love you. Eva out."

"Love you. Lynn out."

* * *

Reece slowed to a stop from his run and looked up at the giant office building as he caught his breath.

Adalynn was up there working. When she was done she would go to a cafe and get a chocolate muffin.

It was his job to learn her schedule, her every move, so that her all the time and work his magic.

His grandfather wanted Reece to see her every day in order to actually get something accomplished.

Yet... Reece couldn't bring himself to see her today. After yesterday, he didn't know if he could see her without doing something stupid... again.

Reece decided against seeing her. Tomorrow he was temporarily moving into her mansion. He would see her then... When he could think clearly.

* * *

As Lynn left the building, dead tired and ready for her muffin, she spotted the intern, Jordan, moving down the street.

He caught her eye and smiled. "Hello again."

She returned the smile. "Hi. Done for the day?"

"Yeah, are you?"

"Thankfully, yes. Hey, I'm going over to a little cafe did you... wanna come?" Lynn tried not to cringe at herself. She was but great in this... arena of dating.

Jordan's smile widened. "Sure, sounds good."

They moved down the sidewalk together.

Lynn cleared her throat. "So how long have you been interning here?"

"About three months. I'm hoping to get a full time job here in the future." He answered easily.

"Well I'll hire you when I'm in charge." Lynn joked with a small laugh.

"I guess being the drink boy turned out in my favor."

Lynn laughed. "Yes it did. That drink did save my life." Really, it was Reece that did. Her cheeks warmed at the thought.

Lynn knocked Reece out of her mind and decided to enjoy getting to know Jordan.

-----------------

So... Been awhile since I visited this story oops. But here is another short chapter, so yay?? Lol, whatever. Hope you enjoyed.
Thanks for reading (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.)