Chapter Twenty

The only way Lynn could tell that it was daytime was by the sliver of light coming from the boarded up window at the end of the room.

She tried keeping track of how much time was passing, but it was nearly impossible. She felt useless and stuck as she silently sat there holding Reece. As much as she wanted to escape, she knew that she couldn't unless she left Reece behind. She couldn't do that to him after what he had done for her.

When the door opened after a long time of silence, Lynn tensed as she pulled Reece closer, prepared for the worst. She wouldn't be surprised by whatever Brighten was going to do. He seemed sick enough to do every unspeakable thing.

She melted in relief as she saw that it was Jim.

He walked over to them, holding two bowls of what smelled like soup or stew. "He hasn't woken up yet?" He asked quietly as he set the bowls on the floor next to Lynn.

She shook her head. "No. I'm worried."

"Try waking him. He needs to eat. I got to his wound fast enough that he should be able to wake up at the very least." With that, Jim left once again.

Lynn adjusted so that her legs were stretched out rather than crossed, and she slowly moved Reece upright. "Reece." Her voice was hoarse, but she ignored it. She shook him lightly. "Reece." She repeated, this time, louder.

He slumped forward. "I'm so tired. And sore." He groaned.

Relief washed through her as she kept him upright. "Thank heavens." She breathed. "Jim brought some food. You should really eat."

He rubbed his face tiredly, completely confused as he slowly touched the bandages wrapped around him. "What happened to me?" The last thing he remembered was Lynn carefully cleaning his back after Brighten came down. His whole body was hurting, especially his side.

"Brighten happened." Lynn answered quietly. "I tried getting out to find a phone. While I was searching the house for a phone he did something to you. I think he might have had a knife."

Reece winced as he moved so that he was facing her. "Wouldn't be the first time. Why didn't you leave? You had the chance."

"I couldn't just abandon you. Especially since you were at the mercy of Brighten."

His blood sparked. "Did he touch you?"

Lynn's eyes flicked away. "I'm okay..."

Reece's eyes darkened as he saw the unmistakable bruise on her throat. Fury burned through his body. He was definitely going to kill Brighten now. "He attacked you." It was more of a statement than a question.

Lynn put her hands up. "Yes, but Jim stopped him. It's okay."

"That doesn't change the fact that he attacked you, Lynn! It's not okay."

"Don't. I can already tell that you're blaming yourself. Don't." Lynn grabbed his hands. "I'm okay." When Brighten was attacking her, she was scared out of her mind and she felt utterly helpless. But she didn't want Reece to worry anymore than he already was.

Reece nodded for Lynn's sake. He felt rotten. She wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for him. His side ached and throbbed uncomfortably, and he felt like laying down and falling asleep forever. But he knew that was the last thing he should do.

Lynn grabbed one of the bowls and held it up to Reece. "You need to eat. In your condition, you need it."

He took the food. "You need to eat too. You look like you're starving." He grew more concerned the more he looked at her. Her usually bright eyes were dark, and it could've have been the bad lighting, but she looked pale. She seemed thinner than before and there were tired bags under her eyes.