Chapter Thirteen

Miss Sanders hummed softly to herself as she strolled into the mansion, studying the schedule on her tablet. She had the morning off and she felt much better starting work with a break.

But her mood was gone the moment she received a message from Mr. Caine. Adalynn was sent home today for behaving like a heathen. I need you to make sure she gets some dinner. But first put her in the library to finish what she wasn't able to at the office. She still has work to do. I don't want to see her for the rest of the day. Ensure that.

Miss Sanders silently cursed her boss. She would have been long gone if it weren't for Adalynn. She fell in love with the little girl when she got the job as her nanny when she was just six years old. Then Mrs. Caine passed away and she couldn't leave the girl's side.

Based on the message, Mr. Caine had obviously sent Adalynn home and she was most likely in her room.

Miss Sanders made her way to Adalynn's room. She knocked once softly to show that it was her and pushed the door open. "Adalynn-" she stopped.

Adalynn was sound asleep in bed with Reece Graves asleep beside her. Their fingers were laced together and Reece's other arm was wrapped around her, hugging her close to him.

Miss Sanders smiled and silently closed the door again. She would follow her orders later. Right now Adalynn was peaceful, and she needed it.

* * *

Lynn was slowly beginning to wake up, but she just didn't want to. She snuggled further into her fluffy pillows and breathed in deeply. The scent that filled her nose was warm and comforting. A smell that wasn't normally in her bed.

She went still as she realized why she was so warm and comfortable. Reece.

Her face was against his chest and his arm was wrapped around her tightly. Their legs were tangled together, even though Lynn remembered being the only one under the blankets.

A blush warmed her cheeks but she didn't dare move. She didn't want to. Reece held her while she had cried, listened when she rambled.

Warmth spread through her heart as she looked up at Reece's peaceful, admittedly adorable, sleeping face. He was such a mystery, yet he was so kind and gentle, so understanding.

Without fully realizing what she was doing, Lynn's free hand, that wasn't holding Reece's, moved to his dark hair and she ran her fingers through it gently. It was mesmerizingly soft and unruly. Why was he so good looking and sweet at the same time? That wasn't a thing. No one was handsome and sweet.

"Lynn, that's dangerous." Reece's soft voice rumbled sleepily. His eyes were still closed, but he was definitely awake.

Lynn's face flushed a little but a smirk tugged at her lips. "Oh, this is?" She ran her fingers through his hair a bit deeper.

Reece's eyes slowly opened, sending sparks through Lynn's body as he seemed to look into her soul. "Yes, it is. Stop it, unless you're willing to test my limits." His eyes were teasing, yet there was a glint of seriousness as well.

Lynn played innocent. "Whatever do you mean, Toad? I'm just admiring the work your shampoo has done."

"Lynn... You're killing me here." He grabbed her wrist, stopping her. "Teasing like that isn't always the best idea. Unless you're okay with consequences." His eyes moved to her's, sending her heart thundering.

Reece was loving the blush blooming across Lynn's face. It was adorable and it definitely made him not think completely straight.

"Oh, and how was I teasing?" Lynn breathed. She would bet her life that Reece could feel her heartbeat.