1

1

As far as you were concerned, the world went as far as the edge of Westfall, your small home town that nothing ever changed in.

Of course, you were wrong, but you didn't need to know that. You lived with your mother, your father, your big brother Ephraim, and your big sister, Margaret.

Ephraim was 22. He worked on the farm for your father. He was a tall, broad shouldered young man with blonde hair and dark brown eyes. His kind smile was enough to win over the hearts of any young ladies in the town.

Margaret was brilliant, beautiful, and 18. She preferred her nickname, Maggie, however, and was studying to get into a good college. Maggie had big ambitions, and long, curly dark hair. She looked like a princess pulled right from a story book. Any lad would be lucky to have her.

Yes, Ephriam and Maggie L/N were marvels in Westfall. Beloved and respected by any and all who laid eyes on them.

The youngest of the L/N family was you. Y/N L/N. Your (e/c) eyes and (h/c) hair was...... tolerably pretty. On a good day. Yeah..... You weren't as loved as your brother or your sister. People basically forgot that you were even part of the L/N family. You were rarely seen in public. Even then, you were mostly ignored.

The L/N farm was famous around Westfall for their delicious crops and sweet, sweet homemade honey. Your father attended every farmer's market for the past 20 years. Your mother sold blankets and knitted things for the ever growing senior population.

To an outside eye, the L/N farm was the perfect place to live. Kind family, a table that was never empty, two wonderful children, a third that might possibly grow up well, and two parents who were pillars of the community.

Of course, if you were to take a closer look, you'd see a much darker reality.

A stranger would find constant pressure on Margaret from your mother, abuse that was borderline sexual from your father, Ephraim would beat you by orders of your father, and Ephraim himself would be starved for days on end.

It was a cruel existence. And it only got more so the deeper you went.

Your bedroom was in the cellar, locked from the outside, with one window that was covered in bars. There was no air flow, and so it was stagnant and barely tolerable. You were homeschooled by your mother, which resulted in beatings daily when you misunderstood a subject. Ephraim slept in the barn, and Maggie spent most of her time in the attic of the farm house.

What were you to do? There was no escape from this helping existence. Any attempt to run away would result in being captured by the police and returned to your father's hands.

Ephraim, Maggie, and you were separated. You never spoke unless forced to, or when Ephraim beat you. You knew little to nothing about your older siblings, and they knew even less about you.

You might as well have been strangers under the same roof. Strangers in the same hell.

So this is where the story begins. You were out in the town with Maggie, running an errand for cloth for your mother. You silently stood by your elegant sister's side, holding a basket as she shopped threads and cloths.

The sleepy store clerk, a pimpled teenage boy, was falling asleep at the counter with an algebra book laid out in front of him. The old radio was turned on beside him. The sweet, soft music was stopped as a very serious man's voice cut through. You and Maggie froze.

"We interuppt your regularly scheduled programming for an emergency announcement," said the well known broadcaster's voice. He was Sam Smart, the owner of the only radio show for over 50 miles.

You froze, listening in. Nothing changed in Westfall, so an emergency announcement could be the most fun thing that happened to you on that hot summer afternoon.

"The nearby prison of 'Westfall Institution for delinquents' has issued a state of emergency. A dangerous delinquent has escaped and is on foot. We believe that the criminal is on his way through Westfall. If you see a young male wandering aimlessly or looking ad though he has crude intent, please report this to local authorities. Families are urged to stay in their homes and appeal to a curfew of 9 pm. Thank you."

Just as quickly as the music has stopped, it resumed, playing as though the previous unpleasantness hadn't happened.

Maggie shot you a glance, and quickly rushed to buy the items and return home. Ephraim was waiting outside in the pickup truck that belonged to your father. While you had been in the seamstress shop, he had been browsing guns in the nearby shop. Your father's rifle was getting a little rusty.

Ephraim sat in the driver's seat, Maggie beside him, and you pressed against the opposite window. Ephraim's large build took up most of the space in the small truck.

As you arrived home to the farm outside of the town, it was quiet. Your mother sat on the porch, casually knitting as she usually did. Your father was nowhere in sight. Probably tending to the bees behind the barn.

You went inside and retreated to the cellar, hiding in your room. No smile graced your young face. You remained cold and unassuming. You put yourself away, like a doll waiting to be called.

It wasn't until sunset when you heard your name shrieked for dinner. You went upstairs hesitantly. Your father's impatient face awaited you. You sat in silence. All of you did.

"Too damn quiet," your father grunted. "Ephraim." Your brother perked up in fear. Your horrid father pointed to you. "Make some noise."

Your brother stood up, his tall stature looking down at you like a predator. You set down your fork, knowing full well what was to happen.

Ephraim grabbed you by your hair, throwing you against the wall. You grunted in pain, feeling a vase behind you crack. The shardscut your back, leaving blood trickling through your light flannel. Maggie kept her eyes on her dinner. Your father chuckled and watch your brother beat you, like a sick game on the television.

His large fist smashed into your face. You would have a black eye soon enough. Your father grunted.

"YN," your name fell off his lips like a poison. "Ephraim, make 'em make more noise."

Not too long after, there was a sickening crack as your wrist broke. Ephraim began crushing it under the force of his fist against the wall. You shrieked in pain, tears rushing down your red and swollen cheeks.

Throwing you down on the floor, Ephraim pulled away. There was blood on his fists. You cried, spitting blood on the floor, and curled up in a ball. Your father chuckled cruley and stood up.

"Ima go watch the tellie," he said nonchalantly, as tho he hadn't just watched his eldest to beat the youngest within an inch of their life.

No one in the LN house knew of the terrors that were to come the following day. And Atan Starward had no idea who he would meet on his run from authorities.....

*****
So.......
First chapter. Thoughts?
Thank you to everyone still following me! I'm sorry for my unexpected hiatus. I hope this new story makes up for it. I've been hard at work, trying to find inspiration. Safe to say, I found it! Have a nice day, y'all! Don't forget to vote and comment!