II. Kalisa

In the morning, Zelenia informed them that she was shown where they were to go. When questioned about it, she said the Elements were still debating on who should be chosen as the next Elemental, so they showed her a location set between the next two temples; once they decided, the next Elemental would be shown. Kalisa felt that the whole thing didn't feel right, but she stayed quiet.

So, with Tegen leading them again, they returned to Estys, lingered long enough for him to discuss things with the Elders, then guided them back to the main road winding through the jungle. He had already determined the lake Zelenia had been shown was in Asardia, so he took them right, deeper into the jungle. He said they would exit the jungle before evening and could find rest in the nearby village of Foreglen; in the morning, they'd travel north, then turn east where they would board a ferry at Sachsein. One of the cities he listed they would pass through was Ilvila.

Helian and Zelenia perked up at the name; Pica inquired for the interest, and they explained Lord Callidus and his previous assistance. Kalisa barely listened—something about Lord Callidus bothered her. The Sun and Moon seemed to find no fault in him, but Kalisa had felt a slight twinge in her soul on meeting him the first time. It may have been the fact that he was Seteri: renowned magic wielders, highly esteemed and slightly feared that they could turn, if disrespected. Being near other magic wielders had always raised her defenses, so she just contributed her feelings to that.

But still, she wasn't overly pleased that they would be visiting.

On their walk, everyone seemed normal: Helian walked beside Tegen, Pica and Zelenia talked and laughed, and Aeris and Geryon still traveled close—their newfound relationship after she nearly killed him was intriguing. The odd one out was Renuo, being distant from everyone; he usually walked by her, and they would talk freely—making her wonder if he fancied her—but he stayed away. His eyes remained down on the road under their feet and forehead scrunched, struggling to make a decision. She would approach him later and hope he felt comfortable to share what was on his mind.

She found it strange that she wanted—no, desired—his presence again. She, Kalisa 'Black-Soul' who always preferred isolation and silence, wanted someone by her side and to talk nonsense with.

It wasn't simply attraction that drew her to Renuo, it was his soul. His soul had been beaten down so much—it had been ripped to shreds—and yet remained intact and determined to survive. He had always repressed that prideful spirit where he seemed insecure; she knew better. That very first day, she saw that he could very well become one of the most powerful of them all; she could see within him that he could be a protector.

If only he could see it himself.

***

They reached the small village of Foreglen near sundown as Tegen predicted; they found an inn and retired early. The next day wasn't much different from the day before: more leisurely walking through grasslands that dipped and rose with many hills. Their journey was predominantly boring. Pica wasn't pleased with the lack of merriment, so she walked beside Aeris and begged her to sing. At first, she refused; Pica kept hounding her—even singing some of Aeris' songs to goad her into joining. She finally relented.

As she sang, everyone was ensnared by her voice just as before on the doomed ferry; so awestruck by her idol singing right beside her, Pica could do nothing but gape and hang onto Aeris' arm. Geryon seemed to be the only one still in control over his senses, but Kalisa did see him constantly glancing at her face, where his eyes sparkled—he was completely enraptured. They loved each other, Kalisa was sure of it now.

The Elementals weren't the only ones to fall under her spell; it didn't take long before they had acquired fellow passersby pulled in by Aeris' voice. Unlike before, the blonde woman wasn't embarrassed at realizing she had drawn a crowd; she seemed relaxed and even nodded in approval at Pica dancing beside her—probably some of her own choreography. Kalisa did notice the subtle movements in her form, like Aeris held herself back from joining in on the dancing.