III. Zelenia

Even though the attack caught everyone off guard, she only had to guide one to the Silent Realms from dying. Zelenia was put to work healing the injured, but the injuries were mainly minor, so she wasn't overwhelmed. The townspeople were quick to contribute their good fortune to the Sun, Moon, and Elementals being there.

So nearly everyone in Teufen came out to give them a farewell in the morning. Their day's travel to Ilvila was almost identical to the one before, other than sparse Fangril demons ambushing them as they passed near ruins of a destroyed city or an abandoned village. Aeris made the time go by swifter—and to please Pica's begging—by singing again.

Listening to her bewitching voice, Zelenia thought back to the first time she sang and what made her react so. It had to be because of her robotic arm and leg; she said that she left her singing career since the limbs and parts made her a cyborg... but there was more to it than that.

She glanced up at the bright sun blazing overhead. They weren't in a land of the Moon, nor were they in Caelestis—the mainland, so this wouldn't be as effortless—but Zelenia could still try. No harm in doing so; the least she could garner from peering into the Priestess of Air's soul were emotions. Once they reached Asardia, maybe she'd try again with her powers stronger and see actual memories.

Like with Pica, Zelenia waited until Aeris' eye came into view and focused hard. Immediately, whatever song she sang halted as Air looked back at the young Moon, feeling her surge of telepathic power. Those silver eyes were questioning, which quickly grew suspicious, then sorrowful, hurt.

Zelenia ducked her head, cheeks on fire with embarrassment and shame. She could see it in Aeris' eyes: she figured Zelenia was looking for something and was hurt that Zelenia felt the need to find it herself; the young Moon didn't trust her to tell them all if needed.

Which wasn't the case at all. But how could she prove that to her? Say it out loud, revealing to the group that she had the power to discern a secret—or attempt to? She couldn't do that. Their unity seemed to be strengthening right now; confessing might destroy it.

She'd take Aeris aside later and explain.

But now, Zelenia vowed not to betray anyone's trust, like peering into their souls or minds again.

Besides, she had felt enough of Aeris' emotions paired with singing: longing; betrayal; heartbreak; agony.

It was so bad Zelenia didn't want to know the full story behind her leaving her glamorous career.

***

Ilvila was only twenty miles away when they came upon a small cottage on the side of the road. Tegen said smaller villages and settlements were within walking distance, so perhaps it was a doctor who cared for all. It wasn't odd for a physician to be this far away from bigger cities in Elemonsina. Sure enough, the splintered wooden door opened and a young woman with her wrist bandaged walked out with a scholarly-looking man. He had wisps of gray hair, glasses on the tip of his nose, and an apparently kind, gentle aura.

The Elementals meant to walk past, but Aeris stopped, staring hard at the older man's turned back as he gave his patient further instructions on her injured hand. Recognition and disbelief were plain on her face.

When he waved farewell as the woman left, she approached him.

"Dr. Mikus?"

The gentleman turned, hearing his name. He had a welcoming smile on his face, which gradually fell as he recognized Aeris.

"My... my dear," he stumbled as a hand reached out to grab her shoulder. "I'm not... I'm not seeing a ghost." A beaming smile broke out on his face and his eyes watered. "You're alive!" The doctor wrapped his arms around her, laughing, crying, and speaking more disbelief at seeing her again.

Zelenia didn't need telepathic powers to figure out who this man was: one of the surgeons who amputated Aeris' limbs, saving her life. But why wasn't he in Barvella? High-class surgeons—like him since he had been able to work on a high-class celebrity—were supposed to tend to the wealthy and live in luxury.

Aeris introduced him to the Elementals, and Dr. Mikus, in turn, invited them into his home for tea. With it a two-story cottage, Tegen didn't have to duck under low ceilings, but did have to remain in the high-ceiling section by the stairs—all helped drag in chairs to the foyer so the Kemiji wouldn't be alone.

"So, Dr. Mikus, why are you in Elemonsina?" Aeris asked after explaining her reason for being with the Elementals—he had been thrilled to hear it.

His gray eyes dropped to the cup in his hand—he only had enough complete teacups for the four women; the men held dented tankards.

"Vel was livid with my decision to amputate your missing leg and damaged arm with robotic limbs. After you left, he... told me to leave."

Zelenia's teacup stopped before her lips; she gaped at the doctor.

Air's mouth didn't hang open in shock like hers. A slight touch of anger flickered in her eyes, but her expression otherwise remained blank. She looked down at the white teacup in her lap, eyes moving with her racing thoughts. "Did he?" was all she said.

Sitting beside Aeris, Geryon touched her hand; she didn't react.

Pica was utterly bewildered. "But... I don't understand. To keep Aeris alive, surgery had to be done, right?"

"Yes," he said. "Aeris' injuries were severe. I was astonished she survived the initial blast." He patted Air's leg. "Knowing you are the next Air Elemental tells me why."

"How?" Renuo asked.

"Air has chosen her to be their Elemental, and so will ensure she lives to become it."

"My eyes turned silver after the explosion," Aeris said. "They used to be blue."

Zelenia watched Renuo's expression fall harder than she's ever seen it. She could see his thoughts on his face and in his eyes: his eyes have never changed color, so that confirmed his suspicion. Hearing Air's description of physically changing and him not doing so meant he wasn't Water.

She had to do something quick.

"Surely you nearly entering the Silent Realms with the departed souls is the reason for the change, Aeris, for I am as I was born." Zelenia locked eyes with Helian, knowing he had physically changed and hoped he understood her look not to say anything. "Anyone else?"

No one disputed her claim; Tegen and Geryon helped by saying they were born with their eye colors, too. Perhaps they understood her warning look as well.

It worked, regardless. Renuo's slumped shoulders lifted, and hope returned to his eyes.

"Back to this Vel," Kalisa began. "He fired you for saving Aeris' life?"

Dr. Mikus looked at her. "That is coming to a blunt conclusion, for perhaps there are other reasons he insisted I leave Barvella... but yes."

The news didn't seem to surprise Aeris at all, just reinforced some possibility. Whatever it was and whatever even darker thoughts it conjured by the hardness in her eyes, Zelenia wasn't going to look into her soul for the answer.

If Aeris felt the need to tell them, she would.