V. Zelenia

Lord Callidus insisted they stay the night in the Mirror Palace instead of paying for a room at the inn. There were so many rooms each Elemental had their own, and perhaps a good thing, since they could think about what they had seen privately. Pica and Helian seemed upbeat as usual with what their future held, but Renuo and Aeris had paled, visibly shaken by their visions—not everyone had a promising future.

Zelenia sat on the edge of her bed, still torn about the meaning of what she had been shown. They were on some snowy mountain; all the Elementals were facing her, and she couldn't mistake the anger in their eyes—even cheerful Pica glared at her. Geryon had an arm around Aeris' waist and held her close protectively; Renuo and Kalisa were close—him standing in front of her, like he was a shield.

Pica shook her head. "How could you keep that from us?"

"Our lives are important to us, and you thought we would just throw them away for the peoples of Ethea?" Aeris asked incredulously.

"Ethea has done nothing for us but to expect us to be martyrs," Kalisa said. "They deserve nothing; I will not be sacrificed for them."

"We will not let you lead us to our deaths," Renuo stated.

"Ethea has survived with Fangril; it can survive even longer," Tegen said.

"How can the Elements be unified if they can't even trust the ones that brought them to life?" Geryon asked. "How can you expect trust after deception?"

After Geryon's final words, Zelenia came out of her vision and was back in the Visionary Room.

Zelenia had felt so guilty lying to Lord Callidus, but she had promised to keep Renuo's vision a secret. Perhaps her guilt transferred into her vision, but what were they so upset about? What was it that she held back from them? Did her lie to protect Renuo hurt them that much? But Renuo was just as upset as the others and Geryon had said 'ones'; she wasn't alone—was Helian also a recipient of their anger?

Her gut turned with unease: they had both felt a dread after Pica's coronation; after Tegen's, that feeling grew stronger. Could that be the secret they were upset about being revealed? If so, that meant her impression was true... Zelenia felt the blood run out of her face; how could she let them carry on knowing they would—

A soft knock sounded on her door, bringing her out of her head; she told whoever to enter. Helian slipped his head in, helmet-free. "Can I come in?" he whispered.

"Of course."

Her twin came in and shut the door behind him; he was in his farming tunic and leggings—she hadn't seen him without his armor on since he got it. He sat down beside her on the bed.

"Are you okay?"

She looked at him for an explanation.

"I may not have telepathic powers, but I am linked to you; I could feel that you were troubled. So, what's going on? Something you saw?"

Zelenia looked down at her hands folded on her lap. "Yes, and I'm not sure what to think about it." She told him what she had been shown and what she had just thought of.

He didn't reply for a long time. "That's really different from what I saw." Helian explained what he had seen: the Elementals faced Fangril in a dark abyss and afterward, there were worldwide celebrations, parades, and parties. That was a future worth looking forward to.

Zelenia shook her head. "Which one's true and which one isn't?"

"I'm hoping mine is."

She chuckled. "Me too; yours does sound better."