X. Renuo

The lake was just as beautiful as when he saw it in the stream. So serene; so picturesque and quiet—a hidden jewel but hiding a secret foreboding an uncertain future. Renuo wasn't sure if he wanted to reveal it or not.

As the others admired the serenity of the place, Zelenia looked back at him.

It's time, her voice said in his head.

He took a heavy breath, then walked to the shoreline; he took a moment watching the clear waters ebb and flow on the beach then looked up. He couldn't deny the increase of his heart as he looked over the still lake—his heart pounded with the knowledge of what lay underneath.

Renuo pulled the ancient trident off his back; he hesitated before pointing it down at where the temple should've been.

His trident pulsated as if alive and the waters reacted; the water bubbled softly, then it turned angry, broiling and churning. As he had seen, the lake opened up before him: the waters parted and grew further apart to reveal the lakebed sloping down to a gray and algae-covered stone temple.

"Whoa," Pica breathed as she looked down at Water's temple.

Renuo looked back at Kalisa; she met his gaze and nodded in encouragement. He turned back around, released a steadying breath, then started to descend. He heard the others following his lead.

The lake waters remained on either side of them, firm walls of water and growing higher and higher as they walked down. They had to be careful to watch for slick rocks or vegetation; small and larger fish could be seen swimming alongside them. Pica cautiously poked a finger into the left wall, then yanked it out and stared, like she had expected it to deflate and drown them. Tegen stooped at one point to pick up a flopping fish; he moved to a water wall and returned the fish into the lake.

Nearing the temple doors, Renuo's chest tightened—he was eager to see what Water would reveal in him but was also afraid of what he had seen in Ilvila: of Water denying him because he wasn't strong enough for the title of Elemental. He had discussed it with Kalisa last night; she adamantly refused it, saying that Water wouldn't have chosen him to change their mind last second and no one could correctly predict the future.

"Those that practice foresight always struggle with the truth of what they saw; there's no guarantee that something will happen because they witnessed it," Kalisa had said before she kissed him. "Catching the future and forcing it to stay how you want it is like holding water in your hand—it's going to find a way to slip free."

Hearing her logic made him feel less shaken, but there was always the chance that...

He blocked the thought; Kalisa had stressed about him ignoring his doubts. She had quickly shown him that she wasn't one easily moved—her stature helped him straighten and hold his. He had needed someone as firm as her all along.

They stopped at the temple doors and Renuo's eyes fixated on the light blue lock in the shape of a trident on the doors. He lifted his trident to where the head matched the imprint; his trident glowed, and a light blue liquid began to fill the indentation. Once full, the liquid hardened; the entire lock disappeared, and the temple doors opened.

"That's a cool way to open a door," Pica said as they stepped into the temple.

They entered an algae-covered stone foyer lit oddly by a soft blue emanating from the waters lining the walkway. Deep in the waters and even some parts of the walls glittered in precious ores and jewels of amethyst, sapphire, and emerald. Once they were all in, the doors swung shut behind them and they heard a loud roar as the lake re-closed and hid the temple under its waters again.

Renuo led them down the stairs at the end of the foyer and into the main chamber. Water was everywhere: in pools, multiple waterfalls, water trickling its way down stone walls; the water from the foyer cascaded down on either side of the stairs to join pools stretching along the walls on either side. A soft blue illuminated the large chamber and the walls, and the ceiling glittered. Wooden bridges crisscrossed the room, arching over gushing rivers to link island to island. On each island was a stone structure, and the only entrance being a double door.