VII. Tegen

The morning sky warmed with pink and orange when they docked at Sciula. Asardia's largest port and city was secured entirely over water. Everything was wooden, from the piers they walked on to the buildings; nets, red buoys, and boats decorated walls, hung over windows, and were propped near doorframes. Fishing huts and homes sat next to taverns and other small bait shops. On passing through the marketplace, Pica ran over to a stall selling colorful shells and dried starfish; Zelenia and Aeris visited a jeweler's stall specializing in pearls.

As they dawdled, Tegen watched the white seagulls flying around, remembering when he dreamed of being such a creature—going wherever he pleased, not being shunned for being who or what he was.

Now, that longing to get away had disappeared.

Being the Earthshaker meant he was essential and influential. He had proven his sturdiness by not killing Xomati, surviving peacefully in exile, defeating Chief Malum-Ki, and standing up to his tribe's Elders. As they left Estys, his actions had already begun to change his fellow Kemiji: children still trained with spears, but his kinsmen's eyes were not as wild and treacherous. Tegen showed savageness wasn't needed.

But most importantly, he had found belonging with these vastly different humans. Having power to move the earth or have influence over animals did not mean more to Tegen than them. His friends.

Pica surprised him—and it seemed the others too—by buying a necklace of yellow shells on a leather cord. He expected her to steal it. She said the seller claimed the shells granted protection from lightning to the wearer; Renuo looked them over and agreed.

She looped it over Aeris' head. Touched, the Priestess of Air hugged her.

At the edge of the city—where the floating port met the land—they stopped; multiple roads branched off the main path. All were heavily travelled dirt roads.

Helian turned to Tegen. "Which way?"

He knew the path to take—based on the details Zelenia had provided, a shimmering green light outlined their path to that lake ever since Earth's temple. Only Tegen could see it. Earth would ensure he could never lose his way.

Though he did not need reminding, he turned to the young Moon and asked. It was a test for Renuo to confirm Tegen's suspicion. He watched the fisherman.

As Zelenia's words painted the serene picture of the isolated lake, Renuo's eyes flickered to the northwest like he was drawn in that direction.

In the direction the outlined path went.

Tegen turned back and gestured at the road already highlighted for him. That had proved his inkling of this being a journey to Water's temple—Renuo looking said so.

***

Being the land of Water, Asardia's population consisted of fishermen who lived on the coast, on the bank of a river, or lake. Clusters of trees spotted the landscape and gentle hills and cliffs broke the flatness, but streams, winding rivers, and deep lakes were everywhere. Tegen stopped counting bridges when the company crossed their fifteenth one, and Sciula was not even thirty minutes behind them.

He much preferred Elemonsina, since firm earth was more prominent than liquid, but at least Tegen was not scowling at each water source like Geryon. Fire kept his discomfort to himself by not growling.

Now compared to their brief stay in Durus—where Tegen felt like he would combust—this trek was far superior. He understood Fire's unease.

Tegen was dreading visiting Durus again for Fire's temple, though.