IX. Helian

As Zelenia healed Tegen's broken leg, he and Geryon stood on guard at opposite ends of the tunnel. Aeris sat watching the Moon heal Earth—leather pieces hung from her arm wrap where the Terrave's claws (from the surface) had slashed through it. She said she would re-wrap her arm to hide the robotic arm when she could see better. Other than a shallow cut on her slim face, Air was unhurt. Zelenia had a large bruise on her right temple, Geryon appeared to have no injury, and Helian's armor was the only reason he hadn't been sliced open by the Terrave's claws that had fallen into their tunnel.

He glanced back at the blackened corpse of that Fangril demon. Some of its skin was still red, burning. His nose wrinkled because of the foul odor lingering around its body. Aeris began to blow away the smell, but Air wasn't with her.

It took a few more arrows, slashes of Aeris and Geryon's blades, and Fire completely engulfing it in flames to kill the Terrave.

His gaze returned to his end of the tunnel. Since Geryon wasn't in full command of fire, he couldn't maintain a steadily burning fire on some rocks or those strange blue glowing mushrooms for extra light. So, the foreign fungi provided sight in the practically pitch-black tunnel... even though dim.

Helian was worried about the others. They had Pica, so being unable to see wasn't a problem. But if they had been hurt from the fall, they didn't have Zelenia to heal them. And, if he was brutally honest, those three weren't the strongest fighters in the Elementals group. Kalisa and Renuo had the potential of becoming fierce, but because they weren't in tune with their elements yet, they were weak.

Aeris and Geryon weren't true Elementals either, but they could fight—Fire seemed like a trained soldier and need pushing Air to wield blades made them great warriors. He wondered how ridiculously expert they would become once they were anointed.

Something snapped Helian to.

He peered into the darkness, trying to see what gave off that sensation. It didn't feel like an imposing presence... more familiar. Cheerful.

Recognition clicked.

"Pica's close," he announced.

"I feel her, too," Zelenia said. "But she's distant; something's blocking her aura."

"Is she coming down the tunnel?" Geryon asked, followed by Aeris asking, "Are the others with her?"

Helian's mouth opened, but Tegen spoke. "No, she's under us. And, yes, Kalisa and Renuo are with her. Something chases them." The big Kemiji had his hand on the floor, feeling vibrations.

Fire headed to him with his sword out. "Can you lower us so we can help them out, Tegen?"

"I have a better idea." He stood and looked at Helian. "Join us, Helian."

Wary and intrigued, Helian did so, stopping beside Zelenia.

Tegen stood completely still for a while before he suddenly jumped a few feet forward and came down hard with a fist. Earth rumbled all around them; rocks began to fall. Kneeling, he threw out his hands to either side with his fingers splayed. The rumbling stopped—he re-fortified the tunnel to keep it from collapsing.

Rising, he turned and, like he was shoving an invisible pillar into the floor, pushed down. A perfect circle appeared, and light shone up through the hole as the platform of rock descended.

Helian, Zelenia, Aeris, and Geryon moved closer to the hole in the floor to see; within seconds, three heads appeared, looking up. A beaming smile broke out on Pica's face, Renuo's body deflated some in relief, and Kalisa didn't seem surprised at all.

"Hey, guys!" Pica called.

"I'm guessing Tegen caused the ceiling to crumble onto the Gway chasing us?" Renuo asked.