XI. Renuo

They finally ended—barely visible through algae, a double-door sat between two waterfalls. The island they were on had steps leading down into the water and an underwater path led to steps up to the doors. The Elementals waded through the knee-deep water and walked into the final chamber.

The room was massive; other than the stone walkway running to either side of them and a single strip in front of them, everything else was water. Water gently ran down the ore-encrusted walls; a single large waterfall sat far before them. The enormous pool of water was deep—so deep the water was black at the bottom. It was all illuminated by the same light-blue glow and, because of the constant movement of water, the gemstone walls glittered.

"This is beautiful," Pica said.

Renuo's soul was pulled to go to the large waterfall; he just knew Water hid within it. He headed straight for it, walking alone on the stone walkway, splitting the pool in two. He had to see if he was, in fact, the Water Elemental; he had to see if he was something, regardless of what others have said. He just had to.

A flurry of tentacles burst through the water; Renuo's reactions made him drop to avoid the tentacle reaching to snag him. Everyone except for Geryon and Tegen was knocked back. A tentacle wrapped around Pica; she screamed as it hauled her into the air.

They all rose with their weapons to save her. Golden streaks shot through the air, imbedding into the limb that held Pica; pieces of tentacles were sliced off from Aeris and Geryon's swords; magic either froze limbs or set them ablaze from Zelenia and Kalisa.

Renuo pulled the trident off his back and set to stabbing at the tentacles flopping around him. Seeing an opening, he threw his trident at the tentacle holding Pica; slicing it, she fell to splash in the water. Zelenia gave her a hand to haul her out of the water. A hand stretched out for his trident, and it came back.

He heard a loud noise behind him as something monstrous surfaced; he whipped around to see this kraken-like sea creature rising out of the deep. It had no eyes but rings of sharp teeth going rows and rows back to its throat. Its skin was gray and disgustingly slimy; there were no scales like a fish—the skin looked fleshy and soft.

Tegen stomped and a large chunk of stone rose; he hurled it at its face.

The creature recoiled from the hit. It roared at them as multiple tentacles swept at the green Kemiji; he jumped over one, but another struck him in the back of the head. He crashed to the stone walkway, and the others raked him into the pool; Aeris was caught, too.

As soon as their heads bobbed to the surface, Renuo yelled, "Get out of the water!"

They frantically swam toward the walkway to pull themselves out when Tegen's head disappeared. Aeris heard him go under and whipped around; she was violently yanked under too.

Geryon yelled, then a whoosh sounded as a tall wall of flame ran over the surface where they disappeared, setting all the tentacles on fire. The creature howled in pain and dunked the burned limbs, revealing pink flesh, back under water.

Renuo madly fought the surrounding tentacles to get free—he had to get to them. He was the only one who could swim down fast enough to save them. Aeris could provide them with air but if a tentacle had wrapped around her throat, she couldn't do anything.

A whirlpool suddenly appeared right where they went under; the water sucked down, and the kraken was powerfully blown back. Tegen and Aeris popped back to the surface—not gasping for air—and swam toward the walkway again.

Since they were wet, Renuo threw a hand out at them to pull them up out of the water; he threw them on the walkway then turned to deal with the creature.

It had surged back toward him, enraged at being hurt. Unbelievable power rushed through him like a dam breaking under the pressure of a powerful river; he felt extremely protective of the ones behind him.

Renuo threw a hand out at the kraken; it jolted to a stop in surprise. He raised his hand, and it lifted into the air—its entire body and wounded tentacles came out of the water. With a strained yell, he hurled his trident at its mouth; it tore through the flesh and disappeared—the kraken spasmed.

Now, with a hand free, it moved over the water and curled as he drained the water. Strange thick rivers of water meandered up into the air above them; it didn't take long for the deep pool to become empty.

He released his hold on the dying sea creature; it slammed onto the stone walkway before him, then slowly slid off. After falling for [at least 30 leagues], the room vibrated as it crashed onto the bottom. Renuo drew into himself, and the rivers swirled together above him; he threw his arms down and the water burst out of its hold, falling onto the kraken faster and harder than a fierce flash flood. The pool quickly refilled, and the room became peaceful and quiet again.

Renuo stretched out a hand for his trident again; it shot out of the water yards away from where he threw it—he had thrown it so hard it had gone straight through the kraken's mouth. He turned to look at the others: Pica, Aeris, and Tegen were drenched; the others were just damp. They all breathed heavily from the exertion.

"Is everyone okay?"

They nodded.

"No offense, Renuo, but I'm tired of getting wet," Pica said.

He chuckled as he stored the trident on his back. "None taken."

He turned and continued on his original destination. His heart pounded so loudly in his chest he was sure the others could hear it; he stopped before the waterfall.

Suddenly, the waters parted like a curtain and a tall woman stepped out. Her whole skin was a light-blue, and she only wore a bikini top and a thin skirt; black swirling tattoos flowed down from her shoulders to her waist and to her feet; her long dark-blue hair rippled like waves. She was strikingly beautiful, with a thin face, full lips, and heavily lidded cerulean eyes.

"I am Equelin, the element of Water." Her voice was soft and pleasant, like a cool drink of water after a scorching day; Renuo could listen to her all day. "Renuo, I have chosen you to be my Elemental from recognizing the changeability of water in your actions. But no matter my choice, it is still up to you on whether to accept this role."

Equelin's eyes locked with his, telepathically revealing what he was required to do. Memories of past Elementals flashed across his eyes, standing in his exact spot, but after learning what was being asked of them, fled. None of them could stand knowing a hurricane was coming and go meet it. Becoming an Elemental wasn't for the light-hearted.

She offered her hand. "So, what is your choice?"

Before, the consequence of him choosing to be an Elemental would've sent him running—he wouldn't have thought him brave enough. But being the Water Elemental gave him purpose, and she had thought only he could do it; he wasn't scared.

Renuo gripped her forearm. "I accept."

Equelin smiled, genuinely pleased at the conviction in his answer. The tattoos on her body came to life, swirling and flowing like rivers; power flowed out of her and into him. Like drinking a glass of cold water, he felt the power flow down to his feet and fill him. He would never feel thirst again.

She released his hand and stepped back. Confidence swelled within him, absolutely sure he could drain all the water in Ethea to protect those behind him—they could now rely on him, and he wouldn't let them down. The seas would rise or fall at his command.

"Believe that you can save Ethea," Equelin said with a smile, then stepped back into the waterfall; the curtain of water closed over her, and she was gone.

Renuo headed back for the Sun, Moon, and other Elementals. They watched him approach with pleasure on their faces; Geryon nodded at him, finally acknowledging him as a fellow warrior. Pica bounced up and down, saying she was so happy he had become the Water Elemental; Kalisa's eyes shone with respect, complete adoration, and a hint of smugness—she had told him so.

Their assurance of faith in him was all he ever wanted.