XII. Pica

Pica was ecstatic: three were now true Elementals; only three remained. They were doing so well. She wondered who would be chosen next.

Renuo had found an exit in the chamber hidden by the water; he pulled it back so they could descend to the door then let the water go as they passed through. As the tunnel led them steadily up, she couldn't stop looking at his eyes—they were the brightest sapphire she had ever seen; they were so soothing to look at. He even walked straighter, like he was surer of himself now.

After they walked for what felt like forever, they came to a single door; Renuo felt of its face to see if water hid their exit. He pressed his hand against the door and, after a roaring, said it was now safe. They exited to find themselves on the lakebed at a completely different end of the lake. They headed up to the shore and, as Renuo closed the lake behind them, Tegen closed his eyes to concentrate on the feel of the earth. He told them the direction they needed to go to reach Sciula.

Pica skipped beside Aeris and Geryon—they were now close again, so they had absolved whatever had happened in Ilvila to separate them. Helian, Tegen, and Zelenia walked together, smiles on everyone's lips. Renuo and Kalisa walked ahead of them, hand in hand and speaking to each other with heads close. Everyone was together now, as it should be.

The landscape around them began to change from green hills and temperate temperatures to chilly tundra and snowflakes falling from the sky. Pica had never seen snow before and it blanketed everything in white; she had also never felt the sub-zero temperatures, until Aeris' demonstration in Water's Temple—the winter wonderland around her was something to see, but she wasn't fond of the cold.

Renuo's head turned from side to side as his eyes looked over the landscape—Pica saw the slight recognition and worry on his face. Tegen suddenly stopped, body tense and on alert as he smelled of the air. Everyone had now stopped, but because of their reactions, Pica began to shake.

Lord Callidus stepped out from around a frozen wall; his two bodyguards with him. She relaxed at seeing him, but the dark look on his face had her tensing back up. Something was wrong.

Zelenia sighed. "Lord Callidus; I was worried it was something out—" She gasped as her eyes widened in shock.

"Sweet Zelenia, why did you continue, knowing what is to come?" His voice was hard and mocking—this was a different Lord Callidus. "It would've been easier if you had just given in to your fears. I was sure I had you with the future I gave you; especially some of yours." His eyes roamed over their group, specifically landing on Renuo and Aeris.

Wait; the futures they saw were false?

Zelenia was still stunned at what she could see. "You..."

"What do you see?" Helian demanded, stepping in front of her and pulling out his bow.

"I have been around more Moons than just you, Zelenia; I know how to hide my soul." His black eyes turned on the Sun. "If I must explain, I am not the friend you thought I was. I have sought to stop you, but you have all frustratingly persevered."

"Why? You want Fangril gone too, right?"

"No, that is not what I want. Fangril and I are one; with it gone, I would not exist. The world has adapted to living with Fangril; without it, the Selfish Wars are guaranteed to break out again. My entire family has ensured the Elementals to fail to protect Ethea." He chuckled darkly as his eyes drifted over to Geryon. "Some I didn't have to manipulate; they destroyed themselves."

Pica suddenly began to sweat; Lord Callidus should've melted under the fury in Geryon's eyes. She worried about the ice under their feet.

Aeris must've thought about the danger too, for she quickly grabbed Geryon's hand and whispered his name in alarm; he toned down the heat around them, but anger still blazed hot in his eyes.