IV. Aeris

Finding the best surgeon in Barvella living and working out of a small cottage away from large settlements in Elemonsina was shocking. Dr. Mikus assured her constantly that he was perfectly happy treating his common or poor patients for free. As long as he helped those in need and received gratification, he didn't need money.

Aeris believed him. Dr. Mikus had always been the most caring and soft-hearted soul she's ever known, and that was quite the feat, living in the greedy, corruptive high-life of the flashiest city in Agralea—not to mention Ethea.

So, it wasn't hard leaving him. He was happy, thrilled to find her still alive, and excited at seeing them off, returning to their quest in defeating Fangril.

What bothered her, though, was what Vel had done. It was completely in his character to blame others for her disfigurement and retaliate once she couldn't defend them. Why hadn't she planned on him doing something like sacking the head surgeon before she left? Maybe she wouldn't have gone then...

Who was she kidding? Of course she would've left. She couldn't stand Barvella anymore—always being in the spotlight; no peace and quiet, alone time; surviving under Vel's suffocating grip, controlling everything she said or did.

Vel's actions meant one thing: he had something to hide. Aeries suspected he had a hand in the unexpected attack.

Whatever. She had decided long ago not to dwell on it. If she wouldn't allow those thoughts to bother her, they wouldn't.

It didn't matter on who was at fault for the café explosion now.

***

Ilvila was an impressive city built underground in thousands of connecting caves. The entrance to this hidden marvel was a wide opening set among a cluster of hills. After descending a long and bland burrow, the tunnel opened to the strange city.

It was obvious Ilvila harbored Seteri with their unfathomable use of magic. Based on the entrance, the caves had been normal, but from the Seteri moving in, the sharp and jagged walls were now bulbous, bloated from the magic; multi-colored veins lined the walls, some changing colors and pulsing with energy. Homes, shops, and buildings blended into the dips and curves of the strange, swollen walls. In one of the bulging bubbles on the wall was a window into a home. Natural bridges arched high to link passageways. Unnatural balls of purple, blue, green, and white levitated everywhere, lighting the entire metropolis in soft light. Ilvila was truly breathtaking.

With it being evening, the Seteri weren't many—most already home or, as in the ones they did see, headed there. The strange but scarce race resembled Lord Callidus: dressed in multiple layers and colors; pale skin, pointed ears, and sharp, angular features; veins matching the vibrant colors of their hair protruding on their faces, down their necks, and trailing down their arms. Aeris could see the glint of pointed teeth as two men talked. The Seteri were a strange race, nearly impossible to look away from, but beautiful in their other worldliness.

The Elementals stopped in the entrance to stare; Pica had her mouth hanging open in shock.

Aeris noticed Geryon looking around with wonder, too. "Haven't you been here?"

He shook his head. "I would remember a place like this."

They unfroze and entered Ilvila, set on finding out where Lord Callidus lived; Aeris had to tug a still bewildered Pica to fall into step with them and had to keep a hand on the young girl from her gaping up at the city and not mindful of her steps on the precarious footing—she felt like a mother watching over a child. They asked a group of young Seteri where to find him—a green-haired female and a purple-haired female and both males with a shade of orange hair; they pointed deeper into the city.