Chapter ten

"Looks like Scotty was right." Kirk admitted to (y/n) as they headed down to where Khan was being held. They'd  received word from Scotty that he had infiltrated a secret Starfleet shipyard near Jupiter. Admiral Marcus had arrived in an unregistered ship, the USS Vengeance. Carol had been beamed aboard his ship and Marcus was about to shoot down the Enterprise when there was a power outage. 

"Thank goodness Scotty was onboard." (Y/n) said. 

"Captain?" Chekov's voice called out behind them. (Y/n) whipped round to face her friend. 

"Chekov, got any good news?" 

"The warp core is back online but I would not recommend using it. Also, you might want these. They'll work better in space." He handed Kirk a couple of radios. 

"Thanks. Keep working on the warp core. We might need it." 

Chekov nodded, smiled at (y/n) before hurrying back to the engine room.

Kirk smirked at his friend, who was trying to hide her red face. 

"Still haven't told him?" Kirk asked, trying to lighten the mood a little after their ordeal in the bridge. She shook her head. "You should go for it. What's the worst that could happen?" He said reassuringly.

The pair arrived at Khan's cell. He turned around and smirked at the captain. 

"You've come for my help."

Kirk explained the plan to Khan and repeatedly threatened him incase he stepped out of line. (Y/n) showed him that her phaser had been set to kill and was prepared to use it at anytime. 

"I'm a black belt in judo and karate. You don't want to mess with me." She tried to be as threatening as possible. Khan seemed convinced. Drama had been a hobby of hers in her spare time at the academy and had come in handy in times like this.

When they had finished talking with Khan, the two left to get prepared. (Y/n) helped Kirk suit up. 

"You were pretty threatening back there. Remind me not to get on your bad side." Kirk commented. 

(Y/n) rolled her eyes and smiled slightly. "To be honest Jim, I found him quite terrifying. I don't think I'd really be able to take him out. I guess those drama lessons paid off though."

"He seemed to believe you. Am I all set?" He asked as she finished fitting the radio in his suit. 

(Y/n) nodded. "All done." She paused and looked at him in the eyes. "Be careful. Please." She said quietly. Jim wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly. 

"I'll come back. I promise." 

Chekov cleared his throat behind them. They jumped apart. 

"I came to make sure everything is okay with your suit before you go." He said, trying to avoid eye contact with (y/n). 

Khan walked up to them. "Ready captain?" He asked, smirking suspiciously like he always did. (Y/n) placed her hand on her phaser and glared at him menacingly. 

"Lay one finger on him and your dead." She warned him. As soon as their backs were facing them she dropped her act. 

"He will be okay, won't he?" She asked Chekov quietly. He looked at her and took her hand. 

"Don't worry. He'll come back." He squeezed her hand reassuringly. They both thought about everything they wanted to say to each other as they clung onto each other's hand but neither dared speak. 

"I've got to get back the bridge." (Y/n) said after watching Kirk launch. 

"Yeah, I've got to go too." Chekov smiled sadly at her and walked away, cursing himself for being too scared. (Y/n) walked in the other direction, regretting not admitting her feelings for him.