Chapter 2 - The Time Will Come When Even The Broken Must Fight

Kara knew she had destroyed her friendship with Lena by keeping her identity a secret. She didn't know how to fix it now though, she feared it will forever be too late to do anything about it. She had heard what Lena had said when she left her office, 'Well you shouldn't....' and she knew what had been in the box, Kryptonite. She also knew that Lena had taken it out of the box when Kara had left, she could feel it. The kryptonite Lena had made was far strong then any natural kryptonite she had come across, it scared her but even broken and betrayed she trusted Lena, she knew Lena would never hurt her. Lena was too good, too kind.

Kara sat atop L-Corp listening to Lena pace around in her office, Kara for obvious reasons could not get any closer but she was not going to leave Lena alone, not now, not ever. Lena had worked too hard, for too long to prove herself and still Kara couldn't tell her, it killed her as much as she could see it was killing Lena. It was going to be a tough ride, but Kara was in it for the long run.

Whilst sat there Kara remembers her most recent adventure on Earth 1. She was scared the time in which the Monitor had spoken about what fast approaching, though he had not given a specific date, Kara could feel it, she knew it would be soon. She knew it would be the hardest fight she'd ever have to face. This made her all the more determined to gain back some part of her friendship with Lena. She couldn't go into this fight with the knowledge that her best friend would not be waiting for her when she returned. If she had to do this without Lena, she feared in the moment she'd rather not do it at all.

Underneath Kara, down in her office Lena Luthor was indeed pacing around her office, talking to herself and no one at the same time. She was going over every possible next move in her head. She needed to find her battle plan and stick to it. She needed to make sure that whatever happened she protected herself, her walls were built up, they were built high and they needed to stay that way. Lena knew that for the greater good of the city and the people she would have to team up with Supergirl and the DEO, but that doesn't mean she couldn't make changes to their current arrangements.

A month later...

This was the moment Kara and Lena knew was coming, the moment they would have to see each other again. They had not spoken in an entire month, Kara few past L-Corp every night to check on Lena but she never stayed long, just long enough to make sure the CEO was okay. This was going to be difficult for the pair, they were not only going to have to talk to each other but they were going to have to work together, help each other. Kara decided to start the conversation. She had received a signal from Barry that help was needed on Earth 1 and she knew what it was. The DEO members were preparing and she was going to take this opportunity to talk to Lena.

"Thank you Lena, I know this isn't what you want to be doing right now, but your support means a lot to me." Kara said calmly walking up to the CEO.

"I'm not here for you Kara, I'm here because the world is in danger." Lena said snapping slightly.

"I know, but you're still here, that means something to me, even if it means nothing to you." Kara said walking out towards the DEO balcony. Kara stand on her own for a moment, fearing that would be the last time she speaks to Lena. That was until she felt Lena beside her.

"You know when I first came to National City, I came here with the intention of killing you." Lena said calmly as if it were nothing.

"You did?" Kara asked shocked.

"Yes, I did. I was going to start with you, then move on to your cousin. You know finish what Lex started, prove myself to Lillian." Lena said refusing to look at Kara, instead looking out towards the city.

"Why didn't you?" Kara asks fearing she will not like the answer.

"I met you. You are your annoyingly perfect and happy attitude. I couldn't bring myself to do it. You talked me out of it without realising. You made me believe I was better than them, that I didn't need to be the Luthor everyone thought I was. I changed my plans, I didn't kill 'Supergirl' because you of all people believed there was good in me." Lena said finally turning to look at Kara.

"There is good in you Lena, I knew it from the day we first met, I could see it in your eyes, I can see it now."

"No Kara, you don't get to say things like that. I didn't kill Supergirl then, I haven't made up my mind about killing her now. I trusted you more than I've ever trusted anyone and you broke that, don't think just because I told you my secret you are forgiven for keeping yours. I am here now for the world not for you, I am still broken. But there comes a time when even the broken must fight. Go be a hero Kara, just don't be mine" Lena said walking away to where the DEO agents had gathered in front of the portal.