Chapter 5 - The Day the World Fell Silent.

The fight ended almost as quick as it had started. Kara flew down, over powered the anti-monitor and when the dust settle it was clear, she had won. They had won, but every victory has its losses. Many people had been lost that day, thousands of innocent lives, though the heroes tried there truly is no way of saving everyone. Even heroes themselves fell in the battle. Oliver Queen being one, the man that started it all, that inspired millions, and showed that no matter who you were, where you came from or what happened in the past, you could be a hero. The world owed a lot to Oliver Queen, and so did Kara.

Speaking of Kara, she was another lost in the battle. When the dust cleared and the fighting stopped the world fell silence for not only had they lost the Green Arrow, they had lost Supergirl too. Laying deep in a crater was the lifeless body of Kara Zor-El, sister, friend, reporter and hero...

Three months had passed since the crisis, the multiverse was still recovering, a lot of damage had been done. Worlds had collided, in some cases literally, Earth 1 and Earth 38 were now one and the same. It made some of the healing easier, friends became family. For the people of National City chaos ensued, crime was at an all time high, the city had lost its protector, the city had lost its hero. Half the city was in mourning, the house of EL emblem plastered all over the city, in honor of the fallen hero. The people were in shock, they had taken Supergirl for granted and now she was no longer there, they soon realized just how selfish they had all been, just how much they all needed and relied on their hero, and how incredible hopeless everyone was without her. Life was never easy, but it was a whole lot easier knowing they was someone to catch you when you fell, literally.

The other half of the city had taken full advantage of the fact that there was no longer a caped protector flying about, people were looting, rioting and generally doing anything they wanted. They knew the NCPD didn't have enough man power to stop them all, even with the help of the DEO. The people were never like this before Supergirl, but some how it became except able now she was gone, all hope truly had been lost that day. The world may have been saved but National City had been lost to the chaos.

Barry and the others tried their best to look after the city, but they had their own lives, their own cities to protect. The DEO too tried their best but there is only so much people can do, soon it became too much even for them.

Alex kept herself busy, it was her own way of grieving. She had not only lost her sister but her best friend, she threw herself into work. She hardly spoke to anyone, keeping to herself. She'd soon recover, in time, just as any grieving sibling would, it would be a long a painful journey, but she had her friends, no, her family with her every step of the way, and with them, she could do anything. She was of course, the only and only, Alex Danvers.

Alex's behaviour was normal for that of someone who was grieving, the same could not be said of Lena's.

The loss of Supergirl hadn't bothered Lena, it was the death of Kara that destroyed her. Lena had locked herself away deep in the depths of the old Luthor Mansion. No one had seen or heard from her at all in the last few months. She was determined there was some way to fix what had happened, to bring those that were lost back, to bring Kara back. She'd work on it for the rest of her life, as long as that may be, but she would get Kara back. She needed Kara back. She regretted how they had left things. She needed to tell Kara...

Lena was frantic, border line insane, if anyone were to have seen her in the months that followed Kara's death she would have instantly been put on some kind of meds, taken to hospital, or thrown in a cell with the rest of her family. It was not her fault, she had a lot of unfinished business with Kara, too many things left unsaid and done. She blamed herself, like she always did whenever anything went wrong. What is she had have been smart? More Luthor? Less Luthor? What if she went with her? What if? What if? What if? The truth is there truly was no one to blame but you couldn't tell Lena that, there was no reasoning. There was no hope.

Its ironic really, no one knew that symbol on her chest meant Hope, everyone thought it was some kind of fancy 'S', you know for SUPER. It did, does, and always will mean Hope. Something Supergirl gave to everyone, something everyone needed, something she was always happy to provide, even we Kara herself was lacking in it. That's the one big thing you could take away from the death of Supergirl, was the very lack of Hope, there was nothing, nothing for anyone to hold on to. Its ironic because no one knew they had it until it was gone, but you know what they say, 'You never know what you had until its gone' in every sense of the phrase this was true.

Soon three months turned to three years, National City recovered, the crime rate dropped, Supergirl became a name of the past, a legend. She was still a symbol of hope, slowly people became more aware of the sacrifice Supergirl had made, the sacrifice that Kara had made. The people light candles on the anniversary but other than that, things returned to normal. Or so you would have thought.

Down in the Luthor Mansion, Lena Luthor, who had work tirelessly for the last three years had finally made a break through. After extensive research and testing, Lena had finally discovered that krytontian cells never truly die, the become dormant, with enough power, enough radiation you could recharge them, restart them. She has tested this theory using some of Sam's blood. It still contained enough Kryptontian cells, to give her powers. That was not Lena's intentions but it was a pleasant surprise. She figured if she could get enough power to recharge Kara's cells then she could bring her back from the dead. This of course, like most things super, was easier said then done. To get the power she needed she would have to burn up a small sun, and she'd also need Kara's body.

Now being a Luthor, Lena was not against the odd illegal activity, but digging up the grave of your best friend, and savior of the multiverse, was definitely on the list of illegal activities Lena was not up for, and its not as if she could hire someone to do it, well she could be that felt equally a wrong. Luckily for her Kara's body had been stored safely at the DEO so no one could use her body for evil, or other questionable things. The only problem was getting into the DEO, its security was higher than ever, and although Lena was trusted by everyone at the DEO she could not just turn up after 3 years of radio silence and demand to have access to Kara's body. She had to go about this carefully, with some element of subtlety, obviously not a skill of a Luthor.

Over the next few months Lena reached out to Alex, quickly restarting their relationship, Alex of all people understanding why Lena had disappeared, understanding the younger woman's need for time and space in a world that had just become a lot smaller. This slow rekindling meant that it became increasingly more common for Lena to be at and around the DEO. Soon though, she would have to start her plan, she would have to see Kara at some point, before she lost her sanity entirely.

Six months after she initially reached out to Alex again Lena finally plucked up the courage to ask about seeing Kara. He request was immediately met with some skepticism, but the young Luthor insisted it was the finally stage in her process, and it would help to end her grieving. At the time no one knew how literal this would be, even Lena herself had some doubt about her plan, then main one being how she would recharge Kara's cells. The whole time Lena had been rebuilding her relationship with Alex she had also been build a small portal, that allowed radiation to travel through time a space, she had picked a small sun in a far of galaxy with no life or planets anywhere near by. She had programmed the portal a tested it with small amounts of radiation, it work but she didn't know how much could pass through it. She would have to take the risk when she got there. She figured she could change the opening point of the portal to the middle of the sun, that way as much radiation come through in a little amount of time, that way she'd have to best chance of her plan working.

Lena was finally let into the room where Kara was, at first she was fine, but then she took a closer look at the woman in front of her. Even in her infinite sleep, Kara was a beautiful as ever, some of her usual glow missing for obvious reasons. She looked like a real life sleeping beauty, not dying, nor dead, if anyone were to walk in it would look as though she were asleep, which effectively she was, and wasn't. She looked peaceful, Lena took some joy in that, knowing that she had died at peace with what was happening, at peace with the fact she was sacrificing herself for the people she loved.

After a few long moments Lena decided it was time to try and bring her best friend back from the dead, she almost felt like Frankenstein, accept she hoped she wouldn't make a monster. Lena set up the portal to point as Kara's chest, hoping to restarted her heart first and that everything else would follow. Placing a small kiss of Kara's forehead Lena left the room. From her safe point outside, Lena looked through the window at her friend one last time, and opened to portal...