The Bargain

LEENA POV

Cain and i sat in a tree after I spent 20 minutes arguing/explaining to him that it wasn't safe staying on the ground. Then I had to practically carry/help him climb up the tree. For all his muscular figure he definitely wasn't in shape.

He grumbled at me the whole way. If it weren't for the fact that I needed him to save Nina, forgive me but I would've left him to the monsters of the dark.

We sat in the tree both unable to sleep. Him from being uncomfortable and unused to it and me from the worry and constant thinking. So I grabbed some more meat from my bag and decided to find out all I could to help me get inside to rescue Nina, since Cain was adamant about not helping me.

I handed Cain some food as he shifted on the branch for the millionth time.

"Ugh.. how do you sleep in these things" he grumbed shifting again while trying to eat the meat

"Well...let me see its either sleep in the hard branch or get eaten" I say sarcastically. "Sorry princess but your no longer in Kansas."

He huffed and chewing quietly

"So.. can you tell me about the facility?. things to help me get in and out."

He chuckled humourlessly. 

"No" he said simply 

The damn nerve of this guy. I inhaled deep trying to not lose my patience or lose my shit

"Why not?" 

"Because I already told you, you will never make it out".

"How about you let me decide that"

He growls

"Why are you so stubborn huh? Im actually trying to save your life. do you want to be caught and become a lab experiment or something?, because if they catch you and they most likely will that is what they will do to you."

"I don't care I have to try" I whisper yelled

He scoffed

 "you getting sliced and poked and prodded in some lab isn't going to save your sister"

I fumed at him silently. Frustration and helplessness consumed me because I knew he was right. but dammit I had to try. Even if I didn't make it out if I could just get her out I could live with that. I promised to protect her. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't at least try. Why couldn't he understand

"Listen Cain, I promised to protect and take care of her, She's my baby sister. Don't you have family you'd do anything to protect?" I asked

He was quiet for so long chewing and shifting, I almost thought he  wasn't going to answer. A crow squawked nearby and the sound of small critters rustling around were the only sounds to be heard.

"I did once my little brother, Julius. He was only 6 when I was taken. I wonder if he would even remember me." 

"I'm sure he does and wouldn't you do anything to save him if he were in trouble?"

He nodded mutely

I licked my fingers clean of the meat and stared out at the forest contemplating.

"How about we make a deal. You help me save Nina and I will help you find your brother and teach you everything I know"

He looked towards me debating. I prayed like hell he would accept. he was my only hope to successfully save Nina. Without him I was less than likely to even make it into the facility.

""How do I know you will hold up your end of the deal once I help you?." 

"I give you my word, I would never do that to someone, the world may have gone to shit but not every person is too"

He laughed.

"Please if you think id trust your word your dumber than I thought. I don't know you, so I wont trust you, But if you come help me find my brother first, than I will come back here to help rescue your sister".

I thought it over. he would still need me to teach him how to survive out here. But what if he decided to risk it? I scoffed he wouldn't. if his brother meant anything to him he wouldn't risk it. but could i be sure? then again did I have a better option? No.

"Ok, fine deal, but I won't teach you anything until we save Nina, and just know if you decide to  double-cross me you wont survive these woods". I stated, attitude in my tone

"Don't worry about me, unlike some people I don't have a death wish"

I scoffed inwardly at his jab and decided to ignore it. 

"Where were you taken from?"

"Kansas".

"Ok that's not that far, it will be a little journey but we can make it. Maybe find a car a plagued had left behind or something". 

"Shouldn't we avoid the plagued?, they are contagious I've heard". he said nervously

"Weren't you around a bunch of them in that facility?"

"No! they cured everyone immediately who came through that place, we aren't even allowed near the rest of the population for a week after we had been cured, just for extra measure."

"Oh well, I don't know where that lie came from but my dad had got the plague and we all were around him until he couldn't function anymore, if that were true my whole family would have the plague too. As it stands me and my mother don't only my sister does and its been many years since my father passed."

"O" is all he said to that. 

My thoughts suddenly turned melancholy. Its been years since I've thought of my dad the memory is not  a good one. He took his life when the plague started taking over. Before he could completely loose his mind to the plague he took a bullet to his brain in the woods behind our house. He always said he wouldn't be taken. The thing I choose to be grateful for throughout the whole ordeal is that we had the chance to spend his last moments with him and say goodbye.

"We should try and sleep our trek begins tomorrow at dawn".

 i yawned settling my backpack on a nearby branch and moved to a sleeping position. I hated the idea of leaving this place without Nina, especially since it took me 2 weeks to get here. but there was nothing i could do. I just had to pray she'd stay safe until i got back and find Cain's brother as fast as i could.

I heard Cain shuffling throughout the night before he finally fell asleep. i followed soon after my dreams filled with wary thoughts of questions unanswered, the journey ahead and not surprisingly Xui...............

Wow Cain is kind of a asshole

What do you think about the deal? Is Cain going double-cross Leena?

Will they find Cain's Brother?

Comment

Vote

Share

Thanks for reading!!!