Guns and Blood

My breaths were heavy, panicking. Who could have brought a gun? I laid with my head against the wall.

*Sam's POV*

I pulled my books out of my locker, talking with the Jacks. I noticed someone stop in the hall and a ton of people shoved past. It looked like a girl. I shook my head and turned back to the conversation. There was something off. Suddenly someone screamed and a shot fired. The girl who was standing dropped to the floor, blood seeping out. Remember that saying when you are in danger everything becomes clearer-that it slows down? Well that's what happened. I heard muffled voices, and I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned and saw JJ pulling at my arm. I followed them, sprinting out of the school. We ran to the gym where there was a clutter of students and teachers pulling everyone in. We went in and checked in with a teacher. Then the three of us sat on the bleachers.

"Did you see who it was?" JJ asked.

"No, I just saw that girl who was shot standing in the hall then the next second, then she was on the ground-" I stopped.

"What?"

"She saw who it was, that's why she was shot. She saw who and panicked." We sat in silence while the teachers scrambled around, checking in. A lot of people were crying. Gilinsky stood up suddenly scanning the whole room.

"Wait, where are they?" He said, pulling his phone.

"Who?"

"The girls! Leigh, Mallory, and Taylor!" He started typing when I knocked his phone out of his hand.

"Are you crazy? They could be in danger or hiding. That cell phone, anyone of them could have it on. Let's go check with a teacher, see if they were here or checked in." They nodded and we went down. I saw Mrs. Stayles and we went over there.

"Mrs. Stayles?"

"Oh, Sam and Jack and Jack. Thank god you three are ok." She was always one of my favorite teachers, pretty much the only one who like me.

"We wanted to know if we can check if three people are here." She nodded.

"Of course, checking to make sure your friends are here. What are their names?"

"Mallory, Leigh, and Taylor." She scanned the list.

"Leigh is here." Gilinsky stepped back and put his hands on his head.

"I don't have a record for the other two though. But please stay calm, they could be somewhere else."

"That's what scares me. Thank you." Johnson said.

"Guys, I need to find Leigh, I'll be back." Gilinsky said. He turned and jogged away.

"What are we going to do?" I asked.

"I don't think there is anything we can do. They would never let us out." JJ said.

"I'm not sitting around while both Taylor and Mallory could be in danger."

"You think I'm going too?" I shook my head.

"Let's wait for Gilinsky and we can plan from there." JJ said, sitting with his head in his hands. We waited about five minutes before Gilinsky came back holding Leigh's hand. She was crying but hugged us when we stood up.

"Jack...Jack, I lost her! I lost her! Mallory...she was next to me, and then the gun and I tried to tell her to come but she...she knew what your last class was...I tried to stop her but she ran. I'm sorry, I tried to follow but I, the gun, it was pointed at me, I had to go!" Leigh sobbed. Johnson reached over and hugged her again.

"Hey, it's ok, I don't blame you."

"What about Taylor? Did you see her?" Leigh nodded.

"She was walking with us before the shot went off but she said she needed to find you to tell you something. She was walking and the shot went off, right next to her."