Chapter 4

The next morning Arohi opened her bedroom room just a crack.  Peaking out she saw the hallway empty.  She quickly opened the door the rest of the way and looking around one more time. Seeing no sign of Arjun she rushed out of her room and headed for the stairs.  As she went around the corner, looking back one more time.  Coast was still clear with that thought she turned around and collided with a brick wall.  Also known as Arjun Singhania.  Arohi felt the wind being knocked out of  her as she made contact with his chest.  Arjun's hands came out automatically to steady her.  Her eyes were squeezed shut. She slowly opened them and looked up into the frowning face of Arjun Singhania. The pressure on her arms was not enough to hurt her, but enough to make her very aware of his strength.  Her eyes narrowed as the two of them continued to stare at eachother,  letting each other know that neither was backing down.  That's how Rajveer Chachu found them a few minutes later.  Neither one had noticed him approach.  Both so intent on staring eachother down.   Rajveer stood infront of them smiling and then cleared his throat.  Arohi jumped and Arjun instantly let her go.  "What's happening here?" chachu asked with a mischievous smile.  Arjun and Arohi both stared at eachother.  Chachu looked back at the two.  "I know in Mumbai this must be a common occurrence for you two, but this is Chandigarh, you should be lucky I came around and caught you, and not one of the oldies!" he said mischievously.  "Chachu it's not like that."  Arjun said glaring at Arohi now.  "Oh bachu, it's exactly like that."  "I've been where you are."  "It's the separation and the desire to see eachpother."  "They don't call it Kambakht Ishq for nothing!" he said good naturedly.  Arohi and Arjun both looked at Rajveer.  "You got the the Kambakht part right Chachu." Arjun said glancing back at Arohi.  Arohi rolled her eyes.   "Chachu I think you've been watching too many hindi movies" Arjun said already starting to walk away.   "Are you ready for the football match? Chachu called after him as he followed his nephew.  Arrogant jerk! Arohi thought to herself as she made her way down the steps.  Everyone was already around the dining room table eating breakfast.  "Good morning." Arohi said in a chirpy voice.  She heard several "Good mornings" back.  "Sit down beta."  "Would you like a paratha or eggs and toast?" Arjun's mom asked.  Arohi's eyes lit up.  "A paratha she said excitedly making his mom laugh.  Arohi couldn't remember the last time she had a home made paratha...a paratha made by a loving mother.  Pausing she thought, actually she could remember, it had been 5 years.  5 long years.  Shaking her head she forced her attention back to the family sitting at the table.  "Arohi, we're all thinking of going out for dinner tomorrow night."  "How does that sound to you?' Aria asked.  "Bhabhi, it sounds great." Arohi said feeling touched that such a small thing and Aria bhabhi wanted to make sure she was okay with it.  Like what she wanted mattered in this family.  Shaking her head she reminded herself that she was the pretend girlfriend and not the real girlfriend.  So stop getting so attached she thought.  As a paratha was set infront of her she dug into her breakfast.  As the first bite she closed her eyes and smiled.  "Heaven!" she said to his mom.  His mom laughed and gave her another one.  "You're mom doesn't cook for you?" she asked.  "Um, my family doesn't live with me" Arohi said softly.  "I came to Mumbai for school and work."  "And now because of work I don't get to see them as much." Arohi said slowly.  "Oh you and Arjun are both workaholics!"  "Family is important, you both need to make sure you make time for your families." his mom chastised.  Arohi swallowed past the lump in her throat and nodded.  No one knew just how important family was more then her.  

The conversation continued around her.  "Where is that Arjun?" Ishaan asked.  "We need to leave for the football match in less then an hour and he still hasn't come down for breakfast."  "What football match?" Arohi asked.  "He hasn't told you!" Ishaan asked with a surprised expression.  "He's been playing in it for the last 6 years."  "Not just playing bhai, he's been also winning it for the last 6 years!" Rashi said speaking up.  Ishaan smiled proudly.  "Whose brother is he?"  "I've taught him everything he knows."  "The kids including Aria rolled their eyes.  "Anyways it's a charity game that has two teams from different city's play eachother.  And tonight they'll be a party to celebrate the win.  Which of course will be Chandigarh.  And because of Arjun's connections, a lot of people contribute to the cause.   The contributions go towards whichever charity we might have chosen that year.  "This year money will go towards providing  immunizations for children in small villages."  Arjun does a lot of charitable work." his mom said proudly.   He doesn't like to discuss it but he's definitely one of those actors that uses his celebrity to make a difference in the world."  she said smiling.  "I'm surprised you don't know this." she said.  Arohi gulped.  "Yeah Arohi, I'm surprised you don't know this." Arjun said coming up behind her.  Arohi felt herself start to fidget.  "Good morning everyone." he said leaning over and kissing his mom on the cheek.  Grabbing an apple and taking a bite he looked at Arohi.  "I'm sure I told you about the football game."  "I'm surprised you don't remember that." he asked.  "Why don't you tell everyone why you don't remember it?" "Since afterall it's something very important to me."  "Wouldn't I share that with my girlfriend?" he asked innocently.  Arohi looked at him and then at his surprised mom.  "I do remember it." Arohi said with an uneasy laugh.  "I just got so excited about eating your mom's yummy cooking that I forgot everything else!"  "Ofcourse I remember the game." she said.  "You always talk about how important it is to you."  Arjun shook his head and smirked.  Arohi watched his mom's expression, she slowly smiled and patted Arohi's shoulder before walking away.  Arjun bent down and said softly so only Arohi could hear him.  "Nice save."  "How much longer do you think you can keep saving yourself before someone catches on and kicks you out on your a*s?" he asked smugly straightening and taking another bite of his apple.  Arohi stared at her plate.  He was right she thought.  She needed to work fast and find out everything she could before someone figured out that she was not who she claimed to be.  

  Arohi didn't know the first thing about football.  People kicking the ball to eachother. Fighting, falling, scoring, blah, blah.  Whatever, she thought as she looked from Rashi to Shefali who sat on either side of her.  Arjun's whole family and extended family had come out to watch him play.  But that was nothing, it seemed all of Chandigarh had come to cheer on the City's hero and watch him play and win for them.  Before the game even started Arjun had crowds and crowds of people surrounding him.  This time security was right next to him.  But for some reason she had a sense that he didn't like it.  That if he could, he'd just interact with his fans by himself.  But he was too big of celebrity for him to be able to do that.  "Last year an obsessed fan had gone crazy at the match." Shefali said watching her brother.  "She had carved his name with a knife onto her arm."  "Still bleeding she came to the game, trying to show him how much she loved him."  Arohi shuddered just thinking about it.  "What happened to her."  "I don't know."  "She was escorted away by police and bhai was filming a movie at the time so he'd only come down to play the game and he left right after so he could return to his movie set."  Arohi nodded.  She knew Arjun was a complete professional when it came to his work.  He didn't keep people waiting, and he didn't like to be kept waiting was something she had read about him when she started researching for her article.  "Oh the games about to start!" Rashi said excitedly!  Arohi's attention shifted towards the field where she saw Arjun talking seriously to his team.  He wore shorts with a blue dry fit jersey.  He was too damn good looking Arohi thought to herself.  How was it possible to be this hot.  And even though she hated to admit it she knew his arrogance and confidence only made him hotter.  The way he carried himself, walked, talked, everything about him made him irresistible.  No wonder he had a new girl every month.  There was probably a list of them waiting for their chance to date Arjun Singhania.  "Disgusting!' Arohi mumbled under her breath as she watched Arjun kick the ball to another player.  

As the game progressed Arohi found herself drawn into the game.  At time she was on the edge of her seat.  Every time Arjun scored, or took the ball away from a player from the opposing team she found herself getting wrapped up in the same excitement that everyone else in the stadium had.   There was loud cheering when Chandigarh scored or booing when the other team scored a goal.  At one point Arjun had fallen and scraped his arm quite badly.  His mom watching worriedly.  Arjun shook it off and was back to stealing the ball and scoring another point for his team.  At the end of the game his team won 10-4.  Arjun and his team hugging and slapping eachother on the back for their big win.  She watched as he walked over to the opposing team and shook hands with each player taking a second to say something to each one and patting them on the back.  As he walked off the field and towards his family everyone rushed  to him.  "His brother and chachu getting to him first.  Then laughing and hugging him.  "Good job son!" his dad said hitting him on the back.  Arohi lingered behind everyone.  This was so awkward.  She shouldn't really be here, this was a family moment she thought.  But you're family, she said to herself.  Atleast until you can get your story and get out of here." she thought.  "Arohi," Arjun's dadi called, waving her hand and telling Arohi to come over to her.  Arohi pasted a smile on her face and made her way to Arjun and his DJ.  "Didn't he play so well?" his DJ stated proudly.  Arohi nodded.  "Great game." she said.  Arjun smirked at her.  Arohi noticed that he'd taken his shirt off and was now wearing a t-shirt the said 2011 Chandigarh Champions.  His held his jersey in his hand.  Arjun's dadi looked at Arohi a little confused and then smiled.  "Are you feeling shy because I'm here?" she asked Arohi.  "Feeling shy?" Arohi asked.  "Yes, that you don't want to give Arjun a congratulatory hug with me being here."  "No need to be embarrassed.  "I'm a very modern grandmother" "Ask Arjun." she said.  Arjun laughed.  "Yes, you're very cool DJ." he replied.  Arohi looked at DJ with another uneasy smile.  "Yes, yes ofcourse." she said finally as she took a few steps, standing right in front of Arjun she reached forward careful not to touch him and taking her one arm she patted his back.  "Congratulations." she said quickly stepping back.  Arjun couldn't help the smile that appeared on his face.  Let's see Arohi get out of this one, he thought.  "That's a hug?" DJ asked.  "Are you sure you're his girlfriend?" she asked suspiciously.  Arohi's eyes widened.  "Ofcourse DJ!" and the next second she was throwing herself into Arjun's arms.  He caught her against him as she wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him.  His first reflex had been to pull her closer.  Glancing at DJ she saw her smiling.  "You two are so cute."  "You remind me of me and your grandfather."  "God rest his soul"  Arohi pulled away from Arjun quickly seeing the look in his eyes.  He seemed angry all of a sudden.  "May you two always be happy." DJ said patting both Arjun and Arohi's cheeks.  "Oh, I see an old friend."  "I need to go brag about my grandson to her." DJ said happily.  "I'll come too." Arohi said quickly.  But Arjun grabbed her hand pulling her back.  "No, I need to talk to you." he said calmly even smiling for DJ's benefit.