- 03.

Was this what a heart attack felt like?

Hyosung felt her pulse jitter wildly in her ears. Her thoughts were scrambled, incoherent ribbons in her mind. She felt like her legs were about to give way and her lungs were about to burst.

There were multiple choices she could have made, but fear had completely overridden logic. She had just witnessed a murder. Something she thought she would only ever seen on TV.

Her heart was in her throat, each gulp becoming harder than the last.

Squeezing her eyes shut, her chest ached with the pain of being able to breathe as deeply as she needed to, too afraid of being caught. A hand was still pressed to her mouth, her body still flush against the brick wall and hidden in the shadows, but Hyosung's flight or fight instinct suddenly spluttered into life and she knew she had to make a decision before she ended up the next person with a knife buried deep in her torso.

Snapping her eyes open, she spotted her opening; or to be more precise, the opening in the trees that was a shortcut back to her apartment.

Mentally preparing herself, she took a deep breath before propelling herself off the wall, using it to give herself a boost as she sprinted as fast as she could. Adrenaline lit up her veins as her legs stretched a distance she wasn't even aware she could achieve. She didn't look back, not even once, too afraid that he'd be looking directly at her.

Making a swift turn, she ducked beneath the low rising canopy of the trees, the branches clawed at the loose material of her shirt like outstretched jagged fingers, some even scraping across her face, but she didn't slow. Her heels dug into the softened soil, kicking it back up as she pushed herself forward. Her ankles buckled every time she accidentally stepped on fallen forest debris, and she hissed in pain, her breathing beginning to lapse as her lungs heaved, but she didn't once slow down.

And she didn't dare stop.

Finally breaking out of the trees, the glare of the saturated orange street light broke her vision and staggered into the empty parking lot near her apartment. Hyosung sucked in deep, uneven breaths as she held onto the pole of the lamppost, trying to keep herself upright.

Looking up, she managed to slow her sloppy breaths for a moment, noticing how deadly quiet it was. Plucking up all the bravado she had, she turned her head back to look at the woods and she felt her shoulders release some tension at the sight of absolutely nothing. He didn't follow her.

Maybe he didn't see me? She thought with a naive hope, using the opportunity to take her heels off her feet, groaning at the dull ache that already surrounded her ankles. She inwardly cursed herself for wearing heels in the first place. She found them hard enough to walk in, much less run.

Beginning to make her travels across the parking lot, she paused midway when the breeze picked up, dragging an icy whisper in its undertones, brushing across her bare skin and leaving chills in its wake. The trees rustled behind her and she turned around.

Sure enough, there he was. Stood directly under the street light, his hoodie still pulled over his head and the orange glow cast an ominous shadow around him as he stood dead still. Watching her.

The breath she had managed to catch was knocked out of her and she stumbled back, her heels grazing roughly against the loose stones of the tarmac and she struggled to keep her balance, falling straight on her ass just as the man stalked towards her.

"Oh my god," She breathed out, scrambling backward, though Seokjin's long strikes made her efforts redundant.

He chuckled lowly, "God? Not quite," his voice was smooth and light, void of burden as though he hadn't just murdered a man. Seokjin pushed down his hood once he was close enough and flashed the girl a devilish grin.

In the midst of her desperation, and partly because she wasn't thinking properly, Hyosung curled her hand around one of her heels before reeling it back and throwing it at the man. It bounced off his shoulder as though it was made of paper.

He was practically stood right over her, smirking at the sheer terror on her face, "Why so tense? It's not like I'm going to hurt you," His lips twisted some more so he was sporting a certifiable grin, "that much."

This close, Hyosung could see the drips and smears of blood that laced Seokjin's hands and the side of his face. It made her stomach churn.

Noticing how close he was, she knew that if she didn't do something now then she may as well have been bait on a fishing hook. Reeling her foot back, she lunched it forward and it cracked into Seokjin's balls with a force that had him crumbling to the floor in a broken wheeze.

Scrambling to her feet, Hyosung ran towards the security door to her apartment, utterly disorientated and functioning entirely off adrenaline, she almost reached the steps when she was suddenly tackled into the grass.

She tried to scream but a large hand covered her mouth, muffling the sounds as Seokjin straddled her wait to stop her from kicking out. His face was still contorted with pain, eyebrows weaved upwards but he tried to fight through the agony.

Hyosung thrashed and fought beneath him, trying her best to free herself but it was all to no avail, not only was it obvious he out-powered her, but she had also put so much effort into running, she was exhausted.

"Kicking someone in the balls isn't cool, like ever," Seokjin glared down at her bitterly, "That was a cheap shot and you still lost."

Sighing, with his free hand, he managed to pull out a cloth from his back pocket.

Hyosung's eyes widened once she caught the scent of the potent smell emitting from the cloth. She tried clawing at his arms, but he remained unfazed. Effortlessly removing his hand from her mouth, he replaced it with the cloth and Hyosung froze.

Don't breathe in,

Don't breathe in,

Don't breathe in.

Her lungs heaved in her chest and she cracked, inhaling sharply, a bitter taste hit the back of her throat and she felt her eyes become heavier and heavier until her fight was lost.

The last thing she saw was Seokjin's empty smile before he uttered the words, "This is gonna be so much fun."