Chapter Eight: Burnout

Seán leaned on the mini bar as he stared at the half empty beer bottle labeled 'HEINEKEN', hand swishing the container around like a scientist experimenting with an unknown chemical inside a test tube. Loud music blared from the lounge's speakers as at least a dozen of other Y.A.S.S. agents moved around, sharing conversations with fellow agents.

"Excuse me, gents," Felix's voice came from the speakers behind Seán.

Everyone in the room stopped talking and all eyes were at Felix, who was holding a microphone while standing on a stool to make himself visible in the crowd. Seán looked over his shoulder to look at K, taking a sip of his beer.

He held up a beer bottle, "I'd like to propose a toast to all of us for a series of successful missions, the last one being the retrieval of Darkiplier's device carried out by my friend, Agent JacksepticSPY."

Felix was directly looking at him.

"No problem, K," The Irishman raised his own bottle.

"To Y.A.S.S.." Felix said.

"TO Y.A.S.S.!" They all replied, all with resounding joy.

Sean then took a swig, drinking the entire thing in one gulp then slamming it on the table joining the five more empty bottles of beer he had consumed prior.

I never thought alcohol would taste so good combined with personal problems, he thought to himself, knowing that he wasn't really a fan of the beverage.

The music returned, this time a familiar music, the one that he had heard from Tyler earlier: Teen City by Sepia, it had that rock theme to it which had the Irishman bobbing his head up and down to the beat of the drums.

Facing the counter again, Seán said, "More please," tapping on the table alerting the bartender.

"What took you so long to drink that sixth bottle?" The bartender asked as he reached for the nearby fridge to get the Irishman another bottle.

"What do you mean?" Seán raised an eyebrow, "I've only had it for a few minutes."

"It felt like you were holding it for months," He replied.

"That long, huh? Nah, it's just the author who took so long to update. That lazy bitch."

"Good point."

"Anyway, give me two more of these," Seán said, pointing to his bottle.

"Suit yourself," The bartender complied, opening two more beer bottles for the Irishman.

"Thank you. I need some air," Seán was able to carry the three bottles to the nearby balcony, intending to finish them there.

As soon as he stepped outside, the cold night air brushed against his face, making the hairs on his back stand on end. He looked left then right, checking his surroundings. Once he realized that he was the only one there, he went closer to the steel railing, looking over the front yard of the office two stories below.

Placing the two bottles on the floor, he took a deep breath and leaned on the railing, gazing at the bright dancing lights of the Ferris Wheel on Santa Monica Pier. He took another swig, slowly noticing the effects of alcohol as he felt lightheaded. But he continued to drink anyway, finally emptying the one he had in his hand.