Chapter 3 - Don't Be...Like Whatever You Are

I woke up early and went for a run, only to find that everyone else was still asleep when I got back. I showered and changed, feeling the need to look somewhat nice again. I couldn't help but wonder how the boy talk went after I left last night. I forced myself not to care. Grabbing my keys, I went out to the garage, but just before getting in my Jeep I heard a 'sploosh' from somebody jumping in the pool.

Curious, I walked around the side of the house to the backyard, and up on the deck surrounding the pool. It was Kelly doing laps. She was pretty fast, and she did those fancy underwater racing turns I've seen people do. When she finally spotted me she stopped and came over to the side.

"Hey," I said. "You're up early. Well, compared to everyone else."

"Yeah. I couldn't sleep any more, so I came out here." She sounded like she was kind of bored. I wondered if she was having a good time.

"You're a really good swimmer. I'm guessing you were on a swim team?"

She looked a little more enthused as she answered. "Yeah. Our school didn't have a swim team, but we had teams through the YMCA. I think that's what I'm going to miss the most about Madison."

"Have you checked the YMCA here? There's one about 40 minutes away."

"Not yet. I think I'll stick with school sports for now. At least that way I'll get to know more people here."

"Hey, I was just about to go get some giant cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Wanna come with?" I'm not sure why I offered. I'd like to say it was because she looked like she needed company, but truthfully, I think I was enjoying the idea of her sitting next to me in my Jeep.

"Sure! Just let me throw on my clothes."

She hopped out of the pool. I took a sudden interest in looking at the surrounding trees while she grabbed her clothes and headed for the little shower stall my dad had built next to the pool to get changed.

She came back out in athletic shorts and a white t-shirt displaying a big purple and gold "E" on it. "Old high school?" I asked, motioning to her shirt.

"Yep. Madison East."

"It's going to be quite a change, going to Welling-Sanders-Preston High, you know?"

"I can tell. It's a shorter walk from my grandma's house to the school than it was between classes at my old school," she laughed. "I think it'll be nice, though," she hastened to add, searching my face for offense. "Cool Jeep!"

We had made it around the house to the garage. "You, girl, are easily impressed. When I got my driver's license, my dad wanted me to have something with 4-wheel drive. He bought this third hand from a guy he works with."

As we got in, I was a little embarrassed by its condition. I'm one of those people that never cleans their vehicle.

"Hold on a second." I brushed as much of the crud as I could off of her seat and moved the old shoes, water bottle, and fast food wrappers to the back seat. "Sorry about that," I said.

"Don't worry about it," she smiled. "You should see my step-dad's car. It's so gross I can't stand it!"

So, there's a step-dad. Sometimes it isn't the kid that's the troublemaker when they get sent up here to live with grandma and grandpa. Sometimes the problem is with the parents. Mom is a junkie, dad is abusive, etc. My curiosity grew, but I didn't want to get nosy.

I pointed to my Honda, "That's the vehicle I take care of."

"You ride a motorcycle, too? Seriously, I want to be you when I grow up! Not even joking."