Chapter 43 - The Thought Of How Much It Would Hurt

"It is my pleasure to introduce this year's valedictorian." Mr. Parker stood at the podium casually, with his hands behind his back. He was wearing what looked like a new suit, probably the first new suit I'd seen him wear since he first became my teacher.

"I have introduced hundreds of students on this very stage over the years. Every time I do so, I feel honored. Tonight is different, though. Four years ago I was the first person to introduce this young lady on stage as a high schooler. Tonight, I will be the last to do so. This is bittersweet, since I look forward to seeing where her journey in life leads, but I will miss the challenge of teaching a student who thinks so deeply about herself, and about others. It has been said that some students are taught, others learn with you. For the last four years, it has been my honor to learn with this year's valedictorian, Analee Jennings."

His introduction was short, but incredibly sweet. I made my way to the podium before he could step back to his chair and gave him a big hug. He gladly accepted it. What started out as polite applause grew a little louder, then died away as I stepped to the podium.

"Hello, Welling-Sanders-Preston community. It really is an honor to stand here and address you all tonight. I have been told that a good valedictorian speech is a 'sending off' message to my fellow classmates, and it's supposed to make them feel special. Well, my fellow classmates...you are. I don't know how the rest of the world will see you. I don't know if you'll be successful in the future, or happy. I certainly don't hold any particular wisdom to help you achieve success or happiness. I do know this, though. For years I have known you, and you've known me. We have grown together, fought with each other, protected each other, and been more than friends. In a community like ours, it is no exaggeration to say that every day at school feels something like a family reunion. Who I am now, and who I will be in the future, is partly because of the effect each of you has had on me. That means you are all very special to me. Right here, right now, you are special to me. If my job is to send you off with a challenge, then let it be this. Never forget that everyone you meet will shape you, and be shaped by you. Be mindful of what you learn from them, and what you teach them in return."

"When people find out I'm a valedictorian, they usually comment on how smart I must be. I've always corrected them and said that good grades don't necessarily mean you are smarter than anyone else. Good grades mean that you are a hard worker, and you have figured out how to give teachers what they want. However, as I wrote this speech, and thought about the things I wanted to say, and the people I wanted to say them to, I started to think that I actually was pretty smart. My whole life I've been smart enough to surround myself with the best friends..." I gazed at the crowd and tried to catch the eyes of the girls, Tara, and Kala, "...to take the advice of the best mentors..." I looked at my parents, and again at Kala, "...and pay close attention to the best teachers." I turned to the stage and smiled at the faculty. "So, I was smart enough to see that all of you could make me better and happier than I would have been without you, and that I would be more loved, and capable of loving, for having had you in my life." I looked now to Kristy, and finally to Kelly.

I stumbled for a second, because I saw the expression on Kelly's face. I had wondered if she would be emotional seeing me graduate, but I knew her expressions well. This wasn't a simple expression of strong emotion. This was her 'holding back panic' look. I hadn't seen her since yesterday, because they still had school, and the seniors were getting ready for graduation. I wondered why she was having such a strong reaction to the ceremony, but I couldn't stop now to ask. I plowed ahead.

"If there's any advice I can give to my fellow graduates to help make them more successful or happy in the future, it would be to surround yourself with people as wonderful as the ones who surround you now...people like all of you, who have surrounded me my entire life. Thank you."