Chapter 56 - Ani

Chapter 56 - Ani

Tara held up her hand mirror. "See? You look beautiful. You should wear braids more often."

"I don't know, Tara. It's nice, but it makes me feel like a little kid. I haven't worn braids since middle school."

"Well, your date loves braids." She took a picture of my head, probably for her Instagram story.

"I wish you'd stop making it sound like Ani and I are going on a date. She's finally acting excited to hang out with me as a friend again. I don't need you sabotaging that by making her feel awkward."

I looked at the little mirror so that I could see the braid weaving through the black hair on the side of my head. It disappeared over my shoulder, so I moved the hand mirror to see the reflection of the back of my head in the larger mirror on the wall.

"Trust me, there's nothing childish about the way you look." She produced two little bottles of lotion and gave each a sniff. After a moment of consideration she said, "Vanilla," and held one out. I reached for it, but she jerked it back and said, "No! I changed my mind. Patchouli. Ani likes earthy and subtle."

"Tara! Stop it! I'm seeing someone, remember?"

"Take a joke, would you? So, how are things with Damion? You don't talk about him much."

I shrugged. "Fine."

"Fine? You're dating a tall, handsome, muscular doctor and the best you can say is that he's 'fine?' Is he bad in bed?"

"What? No! I mean, he checks all the right boxes, but..."

Tara just raised her eyebrows, waiting for an explanation.

"Have you ever gone out to eat, and ordered something you knew you'd really like, but then the person you're with orders something else, and when it comes you look at it and wish you were eating that instead? So, even though your meal is really good and would totally make you happy at any other time, it just isn't satisfying because you really wish you had ordered your friend's meal?"

Tara gave me a blank stare. "Wow, those are some pretty words. It seems two of my friends are poets." I flipped her off. "No thanks. Once was enough. So tell me, what do you want?"

"I want to know what I should do about Damion. I mean, he's a nice enough guy. We get along fine. I just don't ever...really look forward to seeing him, you know? I keep waiting for us to hit a stride, but we don't seem to be getting there. What do you think I should do?"

"Don't look at me, missy! I know what you want me to say, and I'm not talking anybody into dumping anyone. I do not want that responsibility." She took the lotion and put it on her hands, then proceeded to rub it on my neck and arms. I felt like a dog at the groomer's. "So, what are you going to do with Ani tonight after dinner?"

I shrugged. "Oh, I don't know. Just see what Ani wants to do, I guess."

* * *

We watched Ani's Jeep pull out of the botanical gardens parking lot, carrying a smug Tara and Theodore away.

"So, do you want to...." Ani looked hopeful as she "subtly" gestured towards the entrance with her head and entire torso. Her long, wavy blonde hair swayed back and forth with the motion.

"...go to an art show?" I asked, not trying very hard to keep from laughing at how cute she was. Ani smiled and nodded so quickly it looked like her head was vibrating. I held out my hand. "Let's go."

Within minutes of stepping into the park, the walls Ani had been throwing up all through dinner melted away. Where I saw a bunch of lights put together in interesting ways, Ani saw living art. She saw creativity, emotions, and beauty everywhere.