Chapter 11 - Tattoo

Chapter 11 - Tattoo

Even after an hour or two of not drinking any alcohol, three bottles of water, and a long shower, I still felt somewhat buzzed. I could practically feel Kala's body pulling on me like a magnet, but I didn't budge. I remembered feeling that pull before, but I didn't resist it that time. I stood in the dim illumination of the Christmas lights, and admired the glow on Kala's dusky skin.

My heart was incessant, and the warmth I felt started focussing itself in uncomfortable parts of my body. I silently begged Kala not to do this. It would be so hard to say no to her. I couldn't even remember why I should want to.

"Relax," she said with a little laugh. "You look like a frightened kitten! I think we're both mature enough to share a bed without anything happening."

"You don't want anything to happen?" I wondered how I misread her so badly. Kala gave me a smile that seemed to have some regret in it.

"Well, I did, until I realized I wasn't the girl on your mind all night."

I made my way over to her bed and slowly got under the covers. I mimicked her posture, propped up on an elbow.

"What do you mean?"

"You don't remember sitting in the sun room, do you?"

"Yes, sort of. The greenhouse looking room? You left Tara and me there for a little while."

"That's right. When I came back, you were holding your glass of scotch up to the light telling a passed out Tara that it was the same color as some Kelly girl's eyes, and how pretty she was, and how you wanted to ask her out."

I flopped my head down on the pillow and covered my face with my hands. I felt Kala run a finger through my hair, and I uncovered my face to look at her.

"I'm sorry, Kala. She shouldn't even be on my mind, especially not when I'm with a girl like you."

"You can't control your heart, Analee. So, why aren't you with this girl? Is she the mistake you made?"

I realized that she actually knew Kelly from coaching, but I thought it best if she didn't know that.

"Yes. We just made out, so it wasn't, like, a huge mistake. She's friends with someone close to me, and it was just...a mistake."

"Did she think it was a mistake?"

"No. She wants us to start seeing each other."

"Does the friend you're close to think it was a mistake?"

"No," I laughed. "She thinks Kelly and I would be perfect for each other."

"So, why do you think it was a mistake?"

I tried to remember. I was so tired. Trying to think was like riding a bike through sand. Oh, right! "Because if it didn't work out, it might make things hard for my...our mutual friend and Kelly to stay friends."

"And yet, they're both willing to take that chance?"

"Umm...I guess, yeah. They are." Kala waited patiently for me while I tried out excuses one by one inside my head, failing to make each one work. "Am I being stupid?"

Kala laughed softly and started playing with my hair again.

"That's not for me to decide. I'm actually kind of glad we hit the pause button, though. I could see myself latching on to you as a way to forget about my ex once and for all. That wouldn't have been fair to either one of us."