Chapter 14 - Who Cares About The Toothpick?

Of course I wanted to look nice for my first day of school, but I was also going to see Kelly first thing in the morning. I curled my hair, put on some make up, and wore a nice, loose fitting skirt that showed off my legs. I still wasn't convinced about the rest of my body, but I thought my legs were okay.

I came out of my room with plenty of time to make breakfast. Ever since my mom started working full time, we kids were left to our own devices in the morning. Breakfast had become a grab-something-quick affair, but today I wanted to do something nice for Kelly and Kristy. After all, they had to share a bathroom, so getting ready had to be more stressful for them than for me.

"What's going on here?" I asked. I had come downstairs to find Kelly flipping what looked like tiny brown pancakes. She was wearing a simple pair of shorts and a nice t-shirt, but she made them look great. She looked so domestic and cute, that I had the sudden urge to slip my arm around her waist and kiss her temple. I shook it off.

She shrugged, "I got done early, so I figured I'd make you guys breakfast." Her proud smile, and a sink full of dirty bowls and blender parts, were evidence that she had been working pretty hard on whatever it was.

I went over to the stove and looked in the pan, consciously putting my hands behind my back. "What are they?" Her eyes had drifted downward, maybe to my skirt, I couldn't tell. They snapped back up to my face.

"I looked up vegan recipes, and found one for chocolate banana pancakes." Kelly looked nervous when I laughed, but relaxed when I complimented her.

"You're amazing. They look great. This is the second time you've made me breakfast. I was just coming down here to make something for you guys. Anything I can do to help?"

"Um, you could slice the bananas and get drinks."

I busied myself with fruit and liquids while trying to think of something casual to say that didn't sound like forced conversation. I had just rejected commenting on the weather and was starting to consider if asking her if she was excited for school sounded really lame, or just a little lame. Thankfully, Kristy came down the stairs lugging her backpack and gym bag before anything came out of my mouth.

She scanned the kitchen and her eyes narrowed. They went from Kelly at the sink washing the blender, to me slicing bananas. I gave her a hard look.

"Don't be awkward!" I silently commanded.

She raised an eyebrow and shook her head at me with a grin. "What are you guys making me?"

"Chocolate banana pancakes," Kelly said.

"Wow." Kristy gave me a teasing look behind Kelly's back. "Can Ani have them?"

"Yep. They're vegan."

"Of course they are," Kristy said without taking her eyes off of me. I curled my lip to show teeth. Kristy gave me a mocking, mirthful look. When Kelly turned around we both dropped our expressions and deadpanned.

"They look great," Kristy said. We sat down and started digging in. "So, Kelly, excited for school?" How did she make that sound like a not-lame thing to ask?

"Oh my god, yes! I love my grandparents, but that house gets small when all three of us are there all day. I'm so looking forward to spending the day at school."

Kristy looked at me. "How about you, Ani? This is your last first day of high school. Excited?"

"Not really, I guess. I've been going to the same building for thirteen years. It's just another day."