Chapter 4 - It Was Saturday Night, I guess That Makes It Alright

Everyone was awake when we got inside. They were trying to make scrambled eggs, but I had to take over since all of their attention fell on the cinnamon rolls.

The girls spent the rest of the morning taking a walk in the woods trying to find Mill Falls. It's a little waterfall on a small creek that eventually feeds into a local lake. A trail leads to it from the main road, but there's a shortcut somewhere behind our house. They came back after failing to find it, tired and starving. I had all the fixings for sandwiches ready, along with bowls of chips and veggies. It was at this point that Kristy and Rizzy started referring to me as 'mom.'

I joined them in swimming the afternoon away. We took breaks in pairs to give each other rides around the trails behind our house on the four-wheeler. Kelly went with me, and I found I was right about how awesome it would feel to have her holding on to me while I drove, even if it wasn't my motorcycle.

Kelly was no stranger to four wheelers, so after a while, we switched. She turned out to be more of a daredevil than I am. At one point, I let out a yell as she went over a huge bump and caught a little air. She stopped and looked back at me, saying something I couldn't hear because of helmets and the engine noise.

"WHAT?" I asked, taking off my helmet.

She took her helmet off, killed the engine, and shifted so that she was facing me a little more.

"I said, you don't like to take chances do you?" She had a teasing smile.

I was very aware of how close our faces were. Kelly didn't seem uncomfortable, though. It was a warm day, and I was already feeling hot, but I could feel my face heat up a little more.

"I guess not," I said. "I'll have to get better about that." Kelly licked her lips. I couldn't quite read the look on her face. Thoughtful? She put her helmet back on and started the engine, then waited for me to get my helmet buckled before taking off again.

Was that flirting? It kind of felt like flirting. No. Couldn't be. She's just a sophomore girl that thinks the senior girl is cool, just like all of Kristy's other friends. I was just wishing it was flirting. She's the new girl, she's super cute, and she makes me feel really good about myself. It's normal to get aroused, I assured myself, but in no way could I let this turn into a crush.

As we drove along the trail, I was having a little daydream about what would have happened if I had decided to give her a kiss a moment ago. Our faces had been so close I could smell her minty gum. What would a little peck on the lips have lead to?

Suddenly we slowed way down. Kelly was giving the machine just enough gas to inch forward. Looking ahead, I saw there was another large bump on the path. It took me a minute to understand what she was doing.

"STOP IT, YA' TWIT!" I gave her ribs playful pinch. She squealed and turned to look at me. I couldn't see her mouth, but I could tell by the look in her eyes that she was smiling. She turned back around and gave it some gas.

I got cleaned up and took off around dinner time, returning with a stack of pizzas. The girls were ready to relax, and took turns showering and eating while I made a few bucketfuls of popcorn. When I was finished, I went downstairs to the little tv room.

I claimed my usual spot on the little couch directly across from the tv. Usually I sat alone. We had all claimed spots years ago. Shogun and DJ sat spooning together in a wicker chair that had a large, circular cushion. It looked crowded to me, but they had done that for years. Pixie and Rizzy sprawled out on the floor using a pile of bean bags. My sister sat on a big couch that was on the side of the room. She sat resting her back against the arm of the couch so that she could see the TV. Mey sat in front of her, with her back to Kristy. They sat like that because my sister loves to play with hair, and Mey loves having her hair played with.