Jack|OCD

Jacks POV
I look in the mirror at my outfit. I'm wearing a simple navy blue sweatshirt and black ripped jeans. I carefully pull on the left string until it is even with the right one. I look down at the top near my knee and rearrange the strings so that none of them cross over other ones. Once I finish I tie my curls up into a bun on the top of my head, making sure that none are left out and that there are no bumps. After I see that my outfit is perfect I go over to my bed, and double check that the pillow is perfectly placed in its case before setting it in the center of the top of the bed. I open the closet and close it 3 times making sure that the clothes are neatly organized by color and that the shoes are all lined up in a straight line. Taking a deep breath I count 12 steps to the door, but I accidentally get there in 11 so I walk back to the closet and try again.
1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10...11...12
I open the door before switching the light off and on. I do it 18 times before I'm finally satisfied that nothing back will happen. I walk towards Zach's room and knock 4 times on the door. I only have to wait a few seconds before the door opens revealing a happy looking Zach.
"Hey Jack, what's up?" He smiles as he opens the door up further. I walk in and wait for him to shut the door before I take a seat at his desk. I watch as he goes to sit on his bed before giving me an expecting look. I admire his facial features;I've always thought that Zach was really attractive. I've never had a boyfriend or a girlfriend for that matter but I think that if I were to have one I'd want it to be Zach.
"I was just wondering if you liked my outfit." I said as I began straightening out the pencils and notebooks on his desk.
"Umm...I like the outfit but maybe leave your hair down?" Zach suggests.
He doesn't like it. He thinks I look stupid. I should have left it down in the first place. Now Zach's going to hate me.
"Oh well I can change it. Yeah, I'll be right back." I quickly reassure as I stand up. I'm about to walk out of the room when I realize that I didn't finish putting Zach's pencils in order. I speed walk back over to the desk and rush to put the pencils in a straight line against the edge of the desk.
Zach's POV
I watch as Jack walks to leave the room before abruptly stopping, and rushing over to my desk to place the pencils in a perfectly straight line. I remain silent while he rushes out of the room and into the hall. Ever since we formed the band and started living together Jack has been acting weird. Everyday he asks me or one of the other boys if they like his outfit, and he does other small things like opening and closing doors repeatedly. I want to ask what's going on and if he needs to talk, but I don't want to overstep. I just wish that Jack would trust me enough to tell me what's going on with him. He and the rest of the band don't know it, but I'm gay. My family knows and all my friends from back home know, but I haven't built up the courage to tell the other boys yet. We never talk about anything like that so I have no way of knowing weather they are homophobic or not. I've always been the type of person to fall in love fast, and ever since I met Jack I thought that he was one of the most beautiful people I have ever seen. The more I got to know him the more I realized that he was also a good person and the more I fell. I want to tell him, I really do but I don't know how he will react and I don't want to be the reason the band breaks up.
Jacks POV
I rush to my room and begin to take the hair tye out of my hair. Once it's down I begin to move it until it is perfectly swept to the side with no stray pieces. I can feel myself struggling to breathe a little as I do this, but I just want Zach and the other boys to like me so I ignore it. I go to my closet, opening and closing it 3 times before walking to one side of the room.
1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10...11...
I begin to hyperventilate more when I realize that my steps were to big and I reached the door already. I retreat back towards the other side as I feel a tear roll down my cheek.
"Come on Jack, you can do this." I mutter to myself as I begin to walk towards the door yet again. Hurry up or Zach and the other boys will be mad that you are taking so long!
My brain screams as I take a shaky step towards the door.
1...2...3...4...
I'm just about to take my fifth step when the door opens and Zach's head pops in.
"Hey Jack, we are going to leave in 5 minutes." He informs me and I nod to show my understanding, not trusting my probably shuttering voice.
5...
I take another step as Zach goes to leave. Just as I go to take a sixth step Zach appears yet again in the doorway.
"Oh and I like your hair." Zach smiles before disappearing once again. I release a breath that I didn't realize I was holding in before taking the remaining steps to the door. Flicking the light on and off 12 times, I finally feel good enough to meet the boys downstairs. I go to the staircase and step down with my right foot followed by my left. I continue this pattern until I reach the last step. I jump off landing on both feet before continuing to the living room.
"Hey Jack, what took you so long?" Jonah asks as he pats me on the back.
Did I take to long? Does he hate me now? Am I making us late?
"Oh...Well I'm sorry...I can be faster next time, I promise." I quickly stutter out in a panic.
"Dude it's fine...I was just messing with you," Jonah laughs as he walks away, "no need to panic."
No need to panic.
Jonah's right. I'm being unreasonable. It was just a joke.
I force out a laugh as we all get ready to leave. I make sure I'm the last to leave the house so that I can turn the lights off a few times.
The day goes by pretty well and before I know it it's time for the concert. One question we get asked a lot is what our preshow rituals are. Normally the boys reply with our handshake and I just nod along because to tell them my real one would be too time consuming.
"You're on in half and hour boys" a stagehand announces.
I take a deep breath before going to grab my preshow tea. I know it sounds weird but before every show I go through a long list of specific things I have to do.
1.Drink a cup of lemon tea (with 1 spoonful of honey) while walking from one side of the room to the other 10 times
2. Put on outfit right to left
3.knock 20 times on the dressing room door
4.handshake and huddle with the boys
I go to the food table in the corner of the dressing room where the tea usually is, but as soon as I get there I realize that there is no mug on the table. I begin to panic as I search for the mug.
If I don't drink this then my voice will crack onstage then everyone will hate me. I'll be the reason the band fails and then the boys will hate me. I won't be able to help my family because I didn't do very well in high school and I already took a years break. I doubt any colleges will take a failed musician.
Zach's POV
I'm playing one last round of fortnite before I have to get ready for the show when I notice Jack beginning to panic in the corner. Is hands are shaking as he messily rummages through the contents on the snack table. I put down my phone and slowly walk over to him.
"Hey Jack...buddy...are your okay?" I gently ask as I play my hand on his arm. He looks up at me with tears in his eyes as he takes in a shaky breath.
"T-the..tea...tea...is...isn't here." He gasps as tears start to fall.
"Hey it's okay," I whisper as I pull him in for a hug, "let's go sit down, yeah?"
I guide his shaking form to the couch and gently hold him as we take a seat.
"What's going on Jack?"I ask as I run my hand up and down his back.
"I don't know," He sobs as he leans his head onto my shoulder, " I just feel like if I don't do certain things than I'll fail and everyone will hate me...I can't even leave a room without taking a certain number of steps or turning the lights on and off."
"Why didn't you tell us that you were feeling this way? We could have helped you." I say as I continue to comfort him.
"Because it's not like you guys could have done anything. It's just me and my messed up brain." Jack sobs and I feel my chest tighten with sympathy for the boy that I love.
"Well how about we cancel the show tonight and get you some professional help?" I propose and jack reluctantly shakes his head yes.
We end up canceling the show and I take jack to a therapist the next day were he is diagnosed with OCD. The therapist says that he feels a compulsive need to repeat certain tasks, as well as get people's praise and acceptance in order to feel safe that bad things won't happen to him and to avoid embarrassment. Me and the other boys continue to help Jack with the help of therapy and medication. I decide to wait to tell Jack about my feelings for him, because I don't want to overwhelm him right now. But who knows maybe in the future I'll work up the courage to tell him.
—————————————————————
Thanks for reading and please vote if you like this.
I did research on different types and symptoms of OCD to try and make this as accurate as possible. However I am not an expert so if anything seems offensive or inaccurate feel free to dm me and I can change that part.
I also take requests so feel free to dm me any of those as well
-P