Jonah|Depression

Jonah wanted to be happy. He wanted to be able to enjoy the amazing life that he had been given, but no matter how hard he tried he couldn't. He watched as the other boys swam around in the pool playing chicken and having water fights. He kept imagining himself joining in on the fun but every scenario ended the same way. He could envision himself failing and ruining the fun that the other boys were clearly having. Watching Gabbie and Jack kiss made him wish that someone loved him as much as they loved each other. Watching Daniel float in the water made him wish that he could be as carefree as him. Watching Zach and Corbyn laugh together made him wish that he could just be confident and be happy. But unfortunately, Jonah could only sit on the sidelines and envy his friends and their happiness.
That's pretty messed up, isn't it? To envy your closest friends joy. He was pathetic and a disgrace. He couldn't even be happy. How hard is it to just smile and not be sad all the time. People do it every day and yet Jonah still could only feel sadness and misery.
Jonah slowly got up from the chair he sat on and walked into the house. There he curled himself into the giant couch in their shared living room. Tears began to roll down his face but he didn't even know why he was crying. The sounds of the boy's laughter could be heard through the thin walls of the rental house. He didn't know what to do anymore. He didn't want to die but he needed the pain to stop even if it was just for a little while so he left the house. He grabbed the car keys and his wallet and left.
Jonah got into their rental car and drove. He didn't know where he was going or where he would end up but he needed to clear his head and find a source of release. The soft hills slowly changed to the busy streets of a city. If he was being honest he couldn't remember what state they were in, and to be honest he didn't really care. He was about to pass by the small record shop when he decided that it was worth a look and he had nothing better to do. Jonah parked in a nearby parking garage and walked the 2 1/2 blocks to the small shop. He was a block away when he noticed a homeless man sitting on the side of the road. His cardboard sign read "please help. Homeless veteran." In big sharpie-drawn letters. He was in dirty, torn clothes and it looked like he hadn't had a haircut in a while. Jonah reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. He opened it but only found an old receipt and a few one-dollar bills. Sighing he walked past the man and into a cafe a few steps away. When he went inside he quickly went up to the counter and bought a sandwich, a bottle of water, and a $50 Gift Card. While waiting for his order to be ready he went to the atm and took out $250. One of the workers called his name and he went back up to the counter, offering a quick thanks before leaving the shop with the brown bag. Jonah walked back up to the man and he looked at him for a moment with a small smile.
"Hi, my name is Jonah. I couldn't help but notice your sign," Jonah said trying his best to sound friendly, " I wanted to give you this." Jonah offered the man the brown bag with the water and sandwich.
"Thank you. This means a lot." The man replied as he took out the sandwich and began to eat.
"Do you mind if I sit here with you?" Jonah blurted out surprising himself. The man gave a slight nod as he took another bite from the sandwich.
"Are you happy?" He sighed as he watched people rush through the streets.
"You mean with life or just today?" The man asked simply.
"Umm...today. No, actually I guess I'm wondering about life because that's what matters right? Like when you die you want to have lived a happy life." Jonah wonders aloud.
"Yeah, that sounds about right. I'm pretty happy. What 'bout you? Are you happy?" The man replies as he shoves the last bite of sandwich into his mouth.
"Not really. I mean my life itself is amazing. I just don't fit in it right now I guess. I feel sad all the time even when I don't want to but I just don't know how to fix it."Jonah confesses.
"Maybe you should get some help. My best friend growing up had issued like those. Wouldn't let him in the army because of it." The man states simply. "Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I'm just scared." Jonah takes a deep breath trying to keep the tears at bay.
"Scared. Scared of what?" The man asks as a couple passes by, dropping two dollars into the man's hat.
"I'm not exactly sure. I mean I don't want anyone to think I'm crazy or ungrateful. And how could anyone help me? I'm just like this." Jonah says the last part with such despair and hopelessness that the man reaches over and decides to give Jonah a comforting side hug.
"Now, that ain't true. Everyone deserves to be happy and if you ask for help then your friends will help ya. If my old pal had told me that he was struggling I would have helped him." The man said and Jonah was so overwhelmed with the man's kindness and insight that he could hardly speak. So instead he stood up and grabbed the money and gift card from his pocket.
"Thank you for your service and for your advice." He handed the two objects to the man with a grateful smile.
"Wow...Thanks, man. This really means a lot." The man started to tear up as he shook Jonah's hand. Jonah nodded before going back to his car and returning to the house where the other boys were. When he entered the house everyone stopped and looked at him.
"Jonah! Where have you been?" Jack exclaimed pulling the older boy into a hug.
"Actually I wanted to talk to you boys about something if you don't mind." Jonah works up the courage to say and the rest of the boy nods and follows him to the other room. He sits in one of the chairs as the other boys situate themselves on the couch and other chairs.
"What's going on Jonah?" Zach asked putting a hand on Jonah's knee.
" I think I need help. I just feel so sad all the time and I don't know how to fix it. I just want to be happy." Jonah began to cry after finally telling his friends after so long.
"Hey, buddy. It's okay we're here for you. We'll get you some help and you'll feel better in no time."Daniel reassures and pulls him in for a hug. The other boys quickly join in and for once in a long time Jonah feels like things might actually be alright.
—————————————————————
Authors note
Thank you guys so much for reading this! If you enjoyed it please vote on the story so I know if people are connecting with this