Ten

Waking up with a mild headache was a pleasant suprise for Anna. The loud yelling from downstairs, wasnt.

"Okay, Esme how many fucking times do I have to tell ya-" She heard John yell as she walked down the stairs.

"John, do you think I'm fucking stupid?" Esme barked back at him. Anna had reached the bottom of the stairs before Esme noticed her. "Hello darling."

John nodded at her before grabbing his coat.

"Where are you going?" Esme furrowed her brows. John turned around with his arms in the air, chuckling.

"I'm just meeting up with Arthur, I'll be back by a few hours." John said trying to calm the situation.

The room was tense, Anna felt like walking upstairs again.

"We'll talk about this later, John." Esme said sternly. "And Anna, get some more bread."

"Sure thing, Esme." Anna smiled at the angry woman. "How many?"

"Anna, we have five children in this shithole and a manchild." Esme growled. "You do the maths!"

Anna was out the door quicker than John was. They both looked at eachother and started to laugh.

"John, what the hell have you done?" Anna laughed. "Shes like a dragon this morning."

"I dont fucking know." John said distressed. "I think shes suspecting me of cheating and she found a pair of knickers in my ba-"

"Christ John, manwhore."

"Oi, I am not." John stopped and held out a hand. "Do you think you're lovely brother would do that type of sin?"

"It wouldnt suprise me." Anna shrugged and kept walking.

"Shut up." John smacked his lips and jogged up to her. They could see the grocery store and they started to part ways.

"Buy her some flowers from me, would ya?" John said as he threw some money at her. "That will calm the dragon down a bit."

"You're such a gentleman, John." Anna rolled her eyes after she had caught the money.

"I do what I can." He smiled smugly as he waved away.

Anna walked into the grocery store and started to look around for some new flowers, roses preferably.

"Good morning, Miss Shelby!" The cashier said, he was an old man who had worked there for several years.

"Mr Douglas, looking especially handsome today." Anna smiled at the old man, he shrugged.

"You wont get a discount for being nice." He laughed and grabbed something from under the counter. "But you can get a free caramel for trying."

"I might try a little harder next time." Anna chuckled and took the caramel cube.

Anna found the red roses eventually and raised them to her nose to smell them. She heard footprints come into the shop, she turned around and saw a bunch of younger peaky blinders come in.

"Gentlemen." Mr Douglas smiled and waved at the boys. It was Turner, Isaiah, Nolan and Alex. Anna caught the eyes of Isaiah.

"You alright, Mr Douglas?" Isaiah said, but he kept his eyes on Anna. He was smirking.

"Yeah yeah, don't worry about me." Mr Douglas said before having a coughing fit.

"Are those for me?" Isaiah's eyes darted from her to the roses she was holding.

Anna rolled her eyes and brushed past him, walking towards the counter.

"Mr Douglas, could you hand me three loaves of bread?" Anna said. Isaiah came up from behind her and placed a hand on the counter.

"I love it when you ignore me." Isaiah teased and tried to get maintain eyecontact.

"What do you want, Isaiah?" Anna said and turned to him.

"Good morning to you too, Miss shelby." He smiled and leaned closer to her. "What are you doing tonight?"

Mr Douglas placed the loaves of bread on the counter.

"Looks like I have to go." Anna smiled sweetly, trying to taunt him. She grabbed the loaves and put them in her bag.

"I'll see you later, Anna." Isaiah chuckled and leaned on the counter.

"Don't count on it." She smiled and waved at the other boys who were watching.