Fifteen

Anna was walking towards Emma's house. She didn't have to work until later, so she decided to visit her good ol' friend. Anna looked forward seeing her friend, she always did when her friend was hungover. Anna didnt love seeing her friend being a total mess, but she liked it a lot.

Anna knocked on the door twice before Emma's mom finally came out.

"Anna, hi how are you?" Emma's mom said with a big smile.

"Hey mrs Gallinger, I'm good." Anna smiled as soon as she saw the nice woman. "And you?"

"I'm good, can't say the same about Emma." She said. Anna saw a slowly walking shadow come towards the door. It was Emma.

"Hello sunshine." Anna smiles sweetly, clearly loving the sight of a nauseated Emma.

"Emma, did you clean your room and the dishes." Mrs Gallinger said strictly as she saw Emma come towards them.

"After puking in them, yes I washed them." Emma laughed, trying to make her mom laugh. She didn't.

"Ok, Anna would you mind taking her for a walk?" Mrs Gallinger said as she nearly pushed her daughter towards Anna. "There are people coming over this evening."

"I'm not a dog, mom!" Emma said offended. "I won't be here with your preppy London friends, dont worry!"

"Ok, lets go Ems." Anna put her hands on her best friends shoulders trying to calm her down. Emma was tense, Anna could feel her resisting in her pulling.

"Bye Anna, bye Emma." Mrs Gallinger said as she pulled a cigarett from her pocket.

"Bye, Mrs Gallinger!" Anna exclaimed as they started to walk. Emma didnt answer. Even though their dialog seemed like small snarky comments, it was more than that. Anna knew that. Her mom always wanted a proper and quiet little girl, but she got Emma. Therefor her mom would usually tell her that, so maybe theres a chance that Emma might change for the better.

"Fucking witch." Emma groaned as she kicked a rock. Anna squeezed her friends shoulder reasuringly.

"Dont let it get to ya'." Anna said kindly, it was something she said a lot with Emma.

"It never does." Emma lies.

$$$

"So John disapproves of your lover boy." Emma laughed. Anna nodded as she breathed in second hand smoke.

"Yeah." Anna said as she looked across the Pier. It was quiet, felt nice. She didn't have to deal with John or Esme's rollercoaster of emotions.

"What a shame, he seems to like you." Emma said as she put out her cigarette on the wooden table.

"He only wants one thing." Anna shook her head.

"I don't think he is, from what I've heard." Emma said and smiled at her best friend. Anna furrowed her brows.

"If it's Turner who has told you, then it's probably just to put a good word in." Anna crosses her legs and put her chin up. "He's a dog."

"Ok, Anna, what if he is?" Emma said sternly and turned to her.

"What do you mean?" Anna said confused.

"You don't know him and I just think you should just -" Emma said as she turned back again, staring into the distance. "Live a little."

"Talk about the devil and he will appear."