Chapter eight

"What?!" Peter accidentally said out loud, he just meant to think it but he was just so scared that it slipped out.

"Your bluffing. You wouldn't even try to hurt him if you knew that there was still a chance of me opening up the door for you." Tony said with absolute rage, he was trying to convince himself that he was only bluffing and that -this kidnapper or whoever- wouldn't hurt him, but the truth is he didn't know how far the man would go to unlock this door.

"Tony do you really want to test me?! You seem all big and mighty in your suit and all but when we point a gun at you son figure, your all bark and no bite."

"How did you-?"

"-That you seem him as a son figure? We ran a few tests to see who he had relationships with, and saw that you both spend a lot of time together. So me and my team set up a few extra cameras in your tower and saw you confessing to Pepper that you saw him as a son figure and that if you had the chance to adopt him, you would."

Peter just started at Mr Stark, he had no idea he felt this way I mean yeah he felt like he was a new father figure to him, but it's Tony-freaking-Stark! He thought there was no way that he could ever think of him in that way. He always dreamed of it like that though, in a perfect world. But his life was nowhere near perfect.

"You thought I meant that?! I was just trying to make the press waiting outside hear me say something nice about him. He is-and will forever be- Spider-Man and that is all he is to me. Nothing else. Did your cameras show you that?!"

Peter looked at the ground trying to blink away the tears that were forming in his eyes, it didn't work. When he looked back up his eyes were red and starting to get puffy. He knew that nobody cared about him, I mean yeah there was May and Ned. But nobody else cared, anyone who did either died or was faking it.

May looked at Tony and gave him the biggest glare she had ever gave, she took one look at Peter's face and almost lost it. He always looked up to him, as iron man and as mr Stark. She knew from that day that tony took him to the stark retreat, that he wasn't good. I guess it just took this long for the truth to finally come out.

"Now that we settled that he means nothing, don't you think you can let him go? You don't need him, you only need me."

"No. You didn't hear me. Open the door or I'll shoot him in the head!"

"I... I can't. I won't let you have the weapons in here. I may be incredibly handsome, but I am not stupid. The boy has nothing to do with this. Let him go. I have all of my security on side, one wrong move and you'll be dead."

"You really want to do this right now? Do you want to have another kids death on your conscience?! I don't think you do, I will honest to god shoot this child if you do not open this right now!"

Tony then gave a secret signal to the security team for them to move in and take down these bad guys. However it didn't work the way anyone wanted it to.

The kidnapper heard the security coming and said one more time loud enough for everyone to hear

"I WILL KILL HIM IF YOU GET ANY CLOSER!"

"Yeah like I believe y-"

And just like that as if it was in slow motion the gun went off. The kidnapper gripped the gun and tightened the trigger until it went off. Sadly enough it was still pointed at Peter, still pointed at his head.

The kidnapper shot him so fast that Tony barely had anytime to react, but when he did, he blasted the s**t out of that guy. He just didn't make it in time, after he shot the kidnapper Peter already had blood coming out of his head and was laying on the floor. It was starting to pool with blood, and nobody could stop it.

May was screaming and dropped to her knees and just sobbed. Her nephew was shot, in the head and was lying on the floor dying or for all they knew... already dead. It was her job to protect him, no matter what. She let him down, she let down her brother and sister in law for letting their amazingly talented, smart, kind, generous, all around the best person she met and had the privilege to raise son die. She could never live with this guilt and tried her best to crawl next to him in his last moments...Or so she thought.

She was just about to cry even harder when she felt something, something that she thought he didn't have... a heartbeat. He was alive?! She was shocked and panicked at the same time and thrilled that he was still alive. She screamed for help and the security team came and thankfully had a first aid kit and had medical staff nearby and they were helping him. He could barely move and couldn't talk, and he was told not to move or talk only to take short shallow breaths so he didn't lose that much blood. Everyone was relived and scared even tony. He went and swooped right in and tried to help Peter stay awake but May just slapped him in the face.

"You f**king liar, get the f**k away from him. You mean nothing to him or me. You did this. I will never forgive you for this. Leave us alone!"

Tony did exactly that, he was going to explain to her that the only reason he said all of that is because he thought that if he lied and said that Peter wasn't as important to him as he thought he was, he might not hurt him. Sadly it didn't work, he was terrified that Peter wouldn't wake up and would die thinking that he hated him, he couldn't live with that, nobody should.

Peter was then taken to the hospital in an ambulance with May holding his hand the entire way just hoping that he would survive. The paramedic kept telling May that if he would have been 1 inch to the left, he would have been dead. He was very lucky, even though it didn't feel like it at least he was right now alive and all they could hope for was that he was going to be okay.