Speed Walking

Hongjoong pulled out his groceries from the shopping bag and put them in his own bag as Seonghwa watched on.

Seonghwa really wanted to say something . .anything but he couldn't formulate the words. He had had a crush on Hongjoong for as long as Yuna did. He just wasn't crazy like she was and was happy to admire him from afar.

Seonghwa had no reason to approach Hongjoong other than when he was with Yuna, so he'd never been with Hongjoong alone before. They'd never even sat near each other during class. When Seonghwa was with Yuna he was only around Hongjoong briefly because she would end up running away and Seonghwa would follow her being the good friend he is.

This was indeed a strange and new situation for Seonghwa.

"Hey, so here's your stuff" Hongjoong smiled handing Seonghwa his bag "You don't need to pay me back, it's only like, five dollars"

Seonghwa took the bag with a shaky hand. "T-thank you" Seonghwa managed to say before Hongjoong turned on his heels and left at a fast pace.

Seonghwa watched as Hongjoong walked off. He looked at the shopping in his hand and then shrugged. "That was so weird and random" Seonghwa thought to himself scratching the back of his head. But he was grateful. He sighed and then began to walk home.

Seonghwa had been walking for barely a minute when something occurred to him. In the distance was Hongjoong, maybe about 30 metres ahead of him. They were walking in the same direction.

Seonghwa wondered whether he lived in the area. He kind of felt like he was following Hongjoong.

Seonghwa's long legs meant that if he sped up a little he'd catch up, but then what would he do? He settled for keeping a comfortable distance behind Hongjoong. Hongjoong would probably turn a corner or something in a moment and that would be it.

Except he didn't.

Seonghwa was more than halfway home, in fact he could see his apartment building in the distance now and still Hongjoong was walking the same way as he was.

Curiosity was eating at Seonghwa, he wondered just where he was going.

Hongjoong stopped at the crossing just before Seonghwa's apartment, and Seonghwa's long ass legs meant he'd caught up to Hongjoong. He now stood barely 2 metres behind Hongjoong.

"Should I say something?" Seonghwa thought to himself.

Seonghwa stood like a turkey, kicking his legs behind Hongjoong waiting for the lights to change.

Hongjoong heard a bag rustle and looked over his shoulder for a brief second, he looked back at the road. He then snapped his head back over his shoulder again realising that it was Seonghwa behind him.

"Did I forget something?" Hongjoong said immediately panicking that he still had something of Seonghwa's in his bag

"Heh. . .a-ahh, um?? What? Nooo" Seonghwa answered all flustered

"A-are you sure? Did I take some of your shopping? . . Are you following me?" Hongjoong asked nervously

Seonghwa shook his head "No. I have everything. I just walk this way to go home". He felt awkward. Maybe he should have said/caught up to Hongjoong earlier.

Just at that moment the light turned green and both Hongjoong and Seonghwa walked across the road. Both giving each other side long glances.

To avoid any more confusion Seonghwa sped past Hongjoong edging towards the safety of the apartment gates and in turn home.

But now Seonghwa faced a new problem as he hears footsteps following very close behind.

He passed through the gate and into the courtyard. Seonghwa came to a halt and turned around, only to see a startled Hongjoong behind him.

"Are you following me now? Did you have something else to say?" Seonghwa asked furrowing his brows, looking at Hongjoong who was fumbling with his shopping.

Hongjoong looked at Seonghwa. "I live here" he said

"Here?" Seonghwa said pointing at the ground

" . . . Yeah" Hongjoong answered

Now both boys were confused.

"I live here too" Seonghwa stated, pointing upwards to his door on one end of the apartment building.

It suddenly made sense as to why they were walking in the same direction now.

Hongjoong pointed upwards as well to the other far side of the building. "I'm in 22. Apartment 22"

Seonghwa gasped. He never in a million years thought Hongjoong would be living so close to him.

They now walked next to each other climbing the stairs in silence to the very top floor where both their apartments were situated.

"How have I never seen you before? Did you just move in?" Seonghwa mumbled, bitting his bottom lip, but Hongjoong still understood him

"I've lived here since the start of the year. I used to live on campus, but I wanted my own space"

"oh" Seonghwa answered as they finally reached the top floor. "um well if you wait here I can get you your change?" Seonghwa said pointing towards his door

"nah, nah it's fine. Don't sweat" Hongjoong sputtered shaking his head.

"You sure? It'll take me like two seconds"

"Don't worry about it. You can owe me one or something" Hongjoong exclaimed as he sped off towards his own apartment.

Seonghwa just watched on again. Despite the boys short legs, Hongjoong actually moved really quickly.

Hongjoong unlocked his door and disappeared inside.

Back at Seonghwa's apartment. He placed his shopping on the bench and braced himself on the edge catching his breath. His heart was fluttering.

Hongjoong lived so close, and he didn't even know it. Seonghwa wondered to himself what Yuna would do when she found out that Hongjoong was literally 5 doors away from him.

She'd probably wind up camped out at Seonghwa's place with binoculars. Seonghwa laughed to himself at the image of Yuna dressed as a secret agent peeping out his window.

He'd tell her tomorrow before class.