Journey

"Joong, what's wrong?" Seonghwa asked again, his voice laced with worry

Hongjoong shook against Seonghwa.

Hongjoong choked out his next words "It's my n-nan. . she's not do-ing well, she's in t-the hospital. . .a-and dad said I should c-come say my goodbyes"

Seonghwa only wrapped his arms around Hongjoong tighter, realisation suddenly hitting him.

"Where is she?"

"Meadford Hospital" Hongjoong said still tightly holding on to Seonghwa.

Seonghwa had no idea where that was. He grabbed his phone and googled the location, all the while still holding onto a crying Hongjoong.

They sat for a moment before Seonghwa helped Hongjoong to his feet. Seonghwa left Hongjoong in the middle of the room as he went into Hongjoong's room returning with a jacket to which he helped Hongjoong put on. He walked into the kitchen switching off the lights.

"Where are your keys?"

Hongjoong pointed at a drawer and Seonghwa walked over to it pulling them out. He then walked back to Hongjoong placing his hand on his back to steer him out of his position. Seonghwa then turned off the lounge room lights and guided him out the door.

"Let's go" Seonghwa said

The hum of tyres against the road and the whirring of the engine echoed through the silent night as Seonghwa drove down the empty country highway.

They occasionally passed another car coming in the opposite direction, the lights appearing on the horizon and growing brighter and brighter before disappearing back into night like they never existed.

Hongjoong sniffled as he tried to calm himself, and each time Seonghwa reached over giving his arm or hand a squeeze, soothing his soul.

It was a long two and a half hour trip. Seonghwa occasionally said things like "We'll be there soon" and "We're not far now" but for the most he kept quiet.

Seonghwa had never seen Hongjoong like this, he hated it, it made his own heart writhe in pain seeing him so upset. All Seonghwa wanted to do was to pull over, wrap Hongjoong into his arms and tell him everything would be ok, except Seonghwa knew that things were definitely not ok and his main priority was getting Hongjoong to the hospital to his family.

So the only thing that Seonghwa could do was drive and reassure.

It was now midnight, the dark sky shrouded in clouds swallowing the earth, the moon peeping through every now and then to light their way before disappearing again.

A glow soon formed on the horizon signalling that they were reaching suburbia and in turn the Hospital where his family were meeting.

The turn off for the hospital appeared and Seonghwa followed the signs until they eventually came to a spot in the car park.

Seonghwa got out of the car first, stretching his arms and legs, the still night air gently brushing his face.

Seonghwa looked at the car to see that Hongjoong was still inside. He walked over and opened the door.

"We're here" Seonghwa told him.

Hongjoong just nodded, unmoving from his position and the safety of the car.

Seonghwa bobbed down resting his hand over Hongjoong's "We can sit here for a moment if you want. . but you'll need to go in eventually" Seonghwa said in a soft voice

Hongjoong looked down at Seonghwa as Seonghwa's hand came up to brush his cheek wiping away his warm tears.

Seonghwa stood back up giving Hongjoong the space and time he needed. Moments passed and Hongjoong got out and closed the door.

They walked beside each other and into the white light of the hospital.

Seonghwa felt something warm slip into his hand and he looked down observing Hongjoong's small hand in his. Seonghwa squeezed his hand acknowledging it and accepting it.

Seonghwa approached the two staff at the reception counter asking for Hongjoong's Nan's room. One of the women clicked away on her computer pulling up the room number and then explained how to get there to Seonghwa.

They were soon traveling up in an elevator and then walking down a white clinical corridor, hushed voices of nurses and doctors going about their job around them.

They rounded a corner and Seonghwa saw familiar faces of Wooyoung and Yunho come into view as well as some he'd seen in photos at Hongjoong's house.

An older slim woman with straight dark hair with grey sprouting at the roots noticed them first. Hongjoong let go of Seonghwa and he ran into her open arms. This was his mother.

Seonghwa bowed in respect as she looked over Hoongjoong's shoulder at him. A tall lanky man Seonghwa assumed was Hongjoong's father wrapped his arms around them both and pressed a kiss on the top of their heads.

Hongjoong, his mother and father walked into a hospital room leaving Seonghwa alone.

Seonghwa stood to the side as the events unfolded in front of him not wanting to impose on Hongjoong's family in this fragile state.

"Daddy look" Yunho said looking at his dad. Wooyoung had Yunho in his arms Yunho's head sitting on Wooyoung's shoulder. He was in his pjs. Seonghwa wondered how the boy was still awake, was he aware of what was happening? He's so young.

Wooyoung placed his wriggly boy on the floor as he saw Seonghwa. Yunho immediately ran to Seonghwa, jumping into his arms gaining a confused look from another man who just came out of the room Hongjoong had entered.

Seonghwa scooped Yunho up "Shouldn't you be in bed young man" Seonghwa said, he held Yunho on his hip, his other hand booping his nose making Yunho scrunch his face cutely.

"I'm not tired" Yunho squeaked

Wooyoung smiled gently "Hi" he said bowing a little.

Seonghwa nodded his head in respect "Hey"

"Thank you for bringing Hongjoong, Mingi mentioned that Hongjoong was in the middle of something when he'd called, he was with you I'm guessing? Sorry to ruin your d-. . uh dinner?"

"No, no, no, don't be sorry, there is nothing to be sorry for" Seonghwa said waving his free hand

The man Seonghwa didn't know approached them. He had messy brown hair and his cheeks were wet from tears.

"Who are you?" He asked. He wore a look of concern on his face at strange man holding his child.

"Ahh right right" Wooyoung began as the stranger stepped up next to him "This is my husband Yeosang, Yeo this is Seonghwa, he's Joong's friend"

Seonghwa extended his hand and shook Yeosang's before tenderly resting it on Yunho's back to hold him, despite saying he was wide awake only moments ago Yunho's eyes were now drooping and his face rested into the crook of Seonghwa's neck, his body weary with sleep.

"He's the one that helped Hongjoong baby sit for us" Wooyoung said

"Ahh" Yeosang's face softened and he nodded remembering, "You're that boy"

Seonghwa bobbed his head.

They all grew silent, Yeosang pulled Wooyoung in for a hug before walking back into the hospital room leaving Wooyoung alone with Yunho and Seonghwa.

a/n So I just thought I'd point out that Mingi is Hongjoong's dad, which makes 'Song' Hongjoong's last name. So Hongjoong Song. I hope that's not too confusing haha, I really weaved the members into a whole little fam bam for this story.
Lorri xx