A Dick Is Born

A week after the incident...

Connor and Hank's workload had doubled after Gavin's temporary leave. After being informed of the attack, the entire office was shook. Some of them blamed RK900 for the mishap while others assumed Gavin had slipped up because of the fact that he was stuck working with something he hated so much. Despite gossip and rumors being exchanged in the office, work continued as normal.

"How are you feeling, Connor Number Two?" Connor asks the android who's seated at Gavin's desk now, scrolling through files that were in the detectives lesser priority folder such as requests to find missing items or stolen pets. He wouldn't be taking on anything too serious without Gavin.

"I'm feeling... bored." RK900 admits, pausing in his search to look up at Connor. "Also, I think... I may change my name."

Connor blinks at this and tilts his head some. "Is there any particular reason why? I thought you liked the name." Despite being somewhat relieved that the other Android wanted to go by something else, he couldn't help but wonder why. After all, he was so insistent on keeping the name before.

"Gavin said that Connor is a bitch boy name."

Connor grimaces at that. "And you're changing your name because he told you that?"

"No. I just feel as though I could better represent myself with a different name. One that stands out." RK900 says.

"I recall telling you that from the beginning but you didn't want to do that." Connor says, swallowing his annoyance for the time being.

"I know. However, I wasn't ready then."

"Have you thought about what you'd like to go by?"

"I believe I want to go by..." RK900 pauses, seeming to be reviewing the name in his mind before he shares it. "Richard." He says.

"Richard? Does that name hold any significance to you?"

"Yes. A few days ago when I visited Gavin in the hospital, he called me a dick. I am, in fact, a temporary detective and Dick is short for Richard. Though I am open to the more appropriate shortened version which is Rich." He says, appearing somewhat proud for finally finding a piece of himself. Connor can't help but feel his chest swell with pride at this. "Also, I've taken a liking to this job. Perhaps when my probation ends, I can become a detective. Like you." He adds, managing a small smile while looking up at Connor.

Connor smiles back, finding himself maybe a tad bit too proud of the other Android. Maybe this was how Markus had felt after converting all of those androids from work droids into deviants who became their own individuals. He places a hand on his look alike's shoulder, giving a slight nod. "That sounds nice...Richard. I'm happy that you've managed to find a name that suits you better." He already couldn't wait to inform Captain Fowler on how well Richard's progress was going.

———————-

While Connor spoke to RK900, Hank decided to take a short break. He heads into the break room and makes himself a cup of coffee. As he does so, he can't help but overhear a couple of officers gossiping about him from where they sat across the room. They must have thought he was too old to fucking hear them.

"You heard what Connor said last week when they walked in, right?" A woman's voice can be heard. She attempts to keep it quiet but fails, as does her male counterpart.

"Yeah, somethin' about them being intimate, right?"

"Imagine having an Android for a partner and a 'partner'." The woman snickers.

Hank doesn't turn around but he can feel their eyes on him as he finishes pouring himself a cup. He tries to ignore it but now he can't help but listen on, brows furrowed in annoyance as they continue.

"As great as those sex-robots probably are, it's gotta be a little weird to work with one too, don't you think? I mean... who's to say it's not just sleeping with you because it knows that'll keep it on your good side?" The man suggests.

"Not to mention the fact that it's selfish. As dumb as it it, those things still don't completely understand what feelings are. It'd be selfish to convince it that it has feelings for you instead of letting it figure it out for itself." The woman adds. "Guess some people are just that lonely." She shrugs. "Personally, I don't think robots are capable having an emotional connection like humans are."

Hank considers turning around and calling them out for so blatantly talking shit about him while he was in the room but decided against it. He'd only cause a ruckus and ultimately end up embarrassing himself in the process. Instead, he leaves the break room with his cup of coffee in hand.

He and Connor had yet to do anything beyond kissing and as angry as those two in the break room had made him, he considers that it's possible that they have a point. How did Connor know how he was feeling? He had only recently just come to terms with the fact that he had actual emotions, after all. There was no way he could understand what it was to have romantic feelings for someone that soon, right? And how was Hank to know that Connor wasn't just catering to him because he felt bad for the 'lonely old man'? The thoughts racing through his mind are enough to keep him fairly silent for the rest of the day, closed off from communicating with his partner like he routinely did each day. He doesn't know for sure if his thoughts are correct but he doesn't want to communicate to Connor either considering the fact that he knew he'd just deny it. Connor was so naive. He had no idea how emotions worked. He was an android.

"Lieutenant Anderson? There are reports of substance abuse in the west end of Detroit." Connor informs Hank as soon as he receives the report. "Red Ice. I believe that you're the most qualified for the job." He says, giving Hank an encouraging smile.

Hank looks up from his computer and gives a casual shrug of his shoulders, not bothering to return the smile despite being able to tell that it was an attempt by the android to raise his confidence. "Let's knock it out then." He stands, grabbing his keys as he heads out of the office. His mood had been soured an hour prior after overhearing those jerks that he had the misfortune of sharing his workspace with. Assholes.

Connor follows behind him, feeling a sudden shift in mood around Hank. There was an odd tension between the two of them now and he didn't like it.