nine | July

SULIT | IX.
"WHAT EXACTLY ARE WE CELEBRATING?"
( 'FOURTH OF JULY DO-OVER' )

"WHAT EXACTLY ARE WE CELEBRATING?"( 'FOURTH OF JULY DO-OVER' )

***

SOFT MUSIC FILLED DANIELLE'S ROOM, but she had no idea what song was playing. She was a little occupied with the girl that was lying on top of her and soft fingers tangled in her hair. Robin pressed a soft kiss to her lips, causing Danielle to smile.

"No more until you get up," Robin tells her with a grin. Danielle pouts and leans forward, trying to recapture Robin's lips, but she leans back with a teasing smile as she shakes her head.

"Dani, everyone will be coming over soon," Robin tells her, "If you wanted this to continue, then you shouldn't have invited them over."

"I didn't know you'd get here before everyone else," Danielle tries to justify, but Robin is already climbing off her and laying down on a separate pillow. Danielle turns on her side and faces Robin. Unable to help herself, she leans forward and presses a kiss to her nose, enjoying the way that Robin scrunches it afterward.

"What's this plan you were so discreet about anyway?" Robin wonders, her hand drifting to touch skin that was exposed due to Danielle's shirt riding up.

"A Fourth of July party!" Danielle exclaims with a grin. Robin raises an eyebrow and Danielle rolls her eyes, "Well a Fourth of July do-over."

"Explain," Robin says intrigued.

"Well we were all trapped in Starcourt by Russians or Mind Flayers and we never really got to celebrate, so I was thinking we'd throw a party. You know, like a pick me up, especially since El and the Byers are moving away," Danielle says. The idea not only seemed good for the kids, but it also helped keep her mind off of Billy. Things had been weird at home since he died.

Her mother was heartbroken over Billy's death. Neil handled his grief differently, drinking up all the beer, wine, and liquor that was stashed in their house. Whenever she saw him, he was passed out or drinking himself to that point.

"That sounds like a good idea," Robin says, smiling as she brushes a piece of hair behind Danielle's ear.

There's a knock on her bedroom door and Danielle and Robin spring apart. Max hesitantly opens the door and Danielle forces a smile.

"Hey Max," Robin greets, her cheeks flushed. Max looks at them suspiciously, but simply shakes her head.

"Your friends are here," Max tells her, "And I'm heading over to Mike's."

"I can drive you," Danielle offers, but Max shakes her head.

"I'll be fine," she forces a smile, "Have fun on your playdate."

Max disappears and Danielle looks over at Robin who shrugs. They both straighten out their appearance before greeting Nancy, Steve, Angela, and Jonathan who were standing in her kitchen. When Angela sees them, a knowing look comes over her face.