Chapter Twenty-Four: Falling Apart

Just A Game [Teenlock]

Chapter Twenty-Four: Falling Apart

No one got who it was. Also, I've had this chapter planned for a while so don't hate me.. Especially those of you who ship a certain ship...

Moodboard by byefromhell

~

Sherlock's nerves were strung high. If it was who he thought it was... He had no idea what he was going to do. Sit beside them? Give them a hug?

His fingers curl around the side of the door and it creaks a little. Sherlock freezes, listening closely. The sobbing is still there but he can tell whoever is behind the door is trying to keep quiet. They've heard him.

"Piss off" snarls a voice.

A very familiar voice.

Sherlock's eyes widen and he scrabbles to remove his backpack. Once he has it in front of him he unzips the front pocket as fast as humanly possible and pulls out his wallet. Opening the main section of the wallet, Sherlock searches for the squares of paper he keeps in there.

Once he has hold of the peach coloured square, he pulls open the door to the storage cupboard.

"I said pi-- Sherlock?" The person sat there blinks at him, tears staining their cheeks. Their eyes then lower to the square.

Sherlock steps into the cupboard and closes the door before he sits with his legs tucked under him.

He couldn't believe it. It was the person he thought it was...

Sherlock had only ever seen his brother cry once before. They were a lot younger and it had been his fault. He hid Mycroft's favourite toy which he'd been given by their grandmother.

"Mycroft, why-"

"That's a promise you can't keep" Mycroft interrupts, nodding at the peach coloured square.

Sherlock frowns at that, looking down at the paper. These worked the same way as their envelopes. It was a code between them, removing misunderstandings and also enabling them to keep things simple.

The peach meant that Sherlock wanted to talk and anything said wouldn't be acted upon.

"Why?" Sherlock asks again, moving to sit beside Mycroft.

Mycroft doesn't speak for a few moment, instead he glares down at the floor. Sherlock's mind races, making a few simple connections. For starters, when Mycroft is upset he goes to his boyfriend. So if he was sat in here instead of being in his boyfriend's arms, they'd had an argument or Lestrade wasn't available for some reason.

"What happened?" Sherlock hesitates before placing his hand on his brothers arm. He was surprised not to be get immediately shook off.

"I know we pretend not to care. But I know you will and that" he nods at the peach square "is a promise you can't keep. I know you, you'll want to do something"

For a moment, Sherlock was too shocked to say anything. This wasn't how Mycroft and he acted, they never actually spoke out loud about how many of the things they do is just part of act. They never say that they care about each other. It's just a rule.

Sherlock didn't know how to deal with the fact that rule had just been broken. Does he confirm to Mycroft that he cares? Does he ignore it?

"Okay. Fine. I can't promise I won't act on whatever you might tell me, but I still want to knowing why you're in here crying"

Mycroft raises his eyes to look at Sherlock for a second before he looks back to the floor, fingers dipping into his jacket pocket to produce a packet of cigarettes. He hands one to Sherlock and slots another between his lips.