Chapter Twenty-Six: Strength

Just A Game [Teenlock]

Chapter Twenty-Six: Strength

~

"This is it" Corey smirks at Sherlock, hands on the nervous boy's shoulders in an awful attempt at calming him.

Sherlock wasn't paying attention to him.

His eyes were fixed on the flats that towered in front of them, not helping how daunting this situation already was for Sherlock. The looming building that cast shadows over his whole figure made him want to run for the hills and just disappear so he didn't have to face any of his issues, especially this issue.

It wasn't hard for Sherlock's eyes to find the window that he knew belonged to Benjamin's living room. The heavy, black curtains were drawn, no sign of life being shown from the place... but both knew that Benjamin was in and awake, waiting with a bag of white powder and glancing at the door every two seconds in hopes Sherlock would arrive soon so he could open that bag.

"You'll be fine" Corey continues, noticing Sherlock's nervous expression. He rubs his shoulders again. "I'll be there"

Sherlock nods, eyes moving to Corey's face as he's snapped out of his trance like state. He swallows thickly before speaking "Yes, I know"

For just a moment, Corey slips and he looks worried. So, so worried. A second later, he realises and forces a smile back on his face. It pains Sherlock to know his friend has to pretend so much. He misses when Corey was genuinely happy all the time. Unless... Unless Sherlock was always too high and out of it back then to realise that Corey was pretending?

Frowning, Sherlock casts his eyes down to his feet. Really, he had to try and be a better friend - and not just to Corey. Jim and Irene, too.. Although that was mending slowly, they were all trying. Molly deserved a bit more recognition too, Sherlock hadn't been as close to her as he usually was.

"Come on" Corey says gently, his arm over Sherlock's shoulders. "Let's get this over with and then we can buy those donuts you like, head back to yours and maybe even get some people over. Jim, Irene, John and Molly. Have a small celebration. Your mum will be pleased too"

Sherlock nods again, heart clenching at the mention of his mother. He stays silent and allows Corey to lead him into the flats. Corey knew the code, so they didn't need to buzz the flat number to enter. He practically lived here anyway, Benjamin should just give him a key.

Sherlock's stomach twists, two emotions waging war within him. Nervousness...and regret.

Yes. Regret. A very big part of Sherlock didn't want this. Benjamin had been nothing but kind since he'd got Sherlock back. He never hit him or pressured him into drinking or drugs if he didn't feel up to it. He was always so gentle when they were in bed together, unless Sherlock asked for him to be rough.

He always, always told Sherlock he was loved. Extremely rare was it that Benjamin didn't say those three words to Sherlock when they saw one another. But Benjamin wasn't good for him. He'd known that since the very start and allowed his vulnerability at the time to over take him. He's pathetic...

He had to say goodbye. He had to be strong now. Things were better, he had no reason to run from things that weren't broken and to drugs. He didn't need them. He'd be strong. Sherlock was taking a stand against Benjamin today. Saying goodbye.

Before Sherlock really registers what's happening - before he can fully prepare himself -  he's standing in front of the door to Benjamin's flat, the brass numbers gleaming at him happily.

Sherlock glares at the shining numbers but his hard expression falls and he pales when the door swings open to reveal a smiling, oblivious Benjamin clad in his usual dark attire.