Chapter 3

It seemed the farther they marched into the plain, the more powerful the wind became. It ruffled the coats of fur of varying thickness and colors, whistling through sensitive ears and blinding eyes who's irises glowed in the dark. Dust from the fairly dry earth rose up in little dust devils swirling around the Pack of wolves.

     Cassandra, Fenris had noticed, seemed more in her element during the day. It's normal, he thought to himself. After all, his Little Wolf had grown up in a desert. Sand devils and even sandstorms must not have been that rare. She knew how to protect her eye from the irritating factor.

     However, at night, trembling from the cold, she'd cuddle up between his underside and the fire. Even when the sun shone, Fenris could see she'd sometimes be victim of a shiver wracking down her spine.

How long still? Freki's voice interrupted his thoughts.

     The male was like a damn kid sometimes. Luckily, Fenris didn't need to deal with him. Eclipse had him wrapped around her pinky.

Deary, stop talking on the main link, will you? I doubt Fenris or Teras care much for your complaining.

     The white-coated male sent a last scowl down the link before seemingly starting up a private discussion with his soulmate.

Actually, I'd like to know something too, came another voice.

     Fenris whipped his head around to glare at Lycaon. The male seemed to notice that and a mischievous twinkle glittered in his golden eyes.

Oh Fenris, no need to glare at me like that because I interrupted your dutiful staring of our Queen.

     In front of them, the aforementioned Queen snorted, sparing a glance to Fenris over her shoulder.

Damn, Fenris, if I didn't know better I'd think you love me.

     Fenris felt his heart constrict painfully at the word. It wasn't love he felt for her, no. Love was a word that explained merely a fraction of the staggering amount of emotion he held for his soulmate.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were trying to get me to admit my feelings first, he replied, sending a shock of mischief crackling down both the bond and the link.

Honey I'm wounded. Don't you remember me admitting I tolerated you more than others? You're the one who's late on the confession, Fenris.

     A burst of protectiveness and love overwhelmed him and he tripped. Of course he remembered— it was the equivalent of her confessing her undying adoration for him.

You are my light in the darkness, Little Wolf, the Ying to my Yong, the ketchup to my fries, the peanut butter to my jelly, the first drop of water in a scorching desert, the one who guards my heart and my soul— he was interrupted by Lycaon.

As riveting as your declaration is, Fenris, I'm hungry.

Me too, Morrigan piped in.

Me three, came his Little Wolf's mind voice.

     He turned to the Beast.

He's too busy looking for any potential threat to his Alpha Queen to realize he's hungry unless he's starving, Geri explained. I'm hungry too by the way, and according to the conversation in the female Pack, so are they.

Freki says he's hungry, but doesn't want to talk to y'all. He might say more than three words to Alpha though, Eclipse notified.

Okay, okay! Fenris sighed through the mind link, exasperated. We'll hunt.

Yay! came his Little Wolf's excited cry. Gather up y'all!

The Shifting Shadows trotted over from where they'd been walking behind, discussing about whatever strong, powerful females talked about. They sat or stood in a circle around Cassandra, attentive to her, and Fenris felt proud of his soulmate. Sahara and Eclipse, whom he'd come to know and appreciate, were standing over the sprawled forms of their twin soulmates, staring confidently at the small wolf in the middle. Teras was on all fours, ears twitching this way and that, always alert. The male needed more damn confidence in Cassandra, Fenris thought. Lycaon was sprawled in the same position as Geri and Freki, next to a regally sitting Morrigan.

He took his rightful place on Cassandra's right and calmly observed the assembled wolves.

A male once taught me how to hunt in a Pack. In a Pack, because, as y'all know and have experienced, females are not aloud to hunt. In some Packs, they are given a certain amount of training, but never enough to overpower a male, Fenris noticed his soulmate's lips twitch upwards slightly, baring a sliver of sharp fang. I'll let my soulmate explain.

•••

Fenris crept silently through the plain, his silver irises focused on the herd of plainroamers in the center of the circle he was tracing. In the corner of his eye, he caught a glimpse of several members of the Shifting Shadows stalking opposite him. After much debate, they'd opted to use a female named Dawn as Tracker, the rest of her Pack agreeing she had a formidable sense of smell. The lithe female had done her job well, tracing a plainroamer herd to their eating spot.

     The other females, because they were a considerable number, were under the directives of Lycaon and Teras as Herders. They had voted on the pair because their massive shape gave them a fright advantage, the prey to terrified to move much. Morrigan, Geri, Freki and himself were going to be the Shepherds, isolating the chosen animal from the herd. Eclipse, Sahara and Cassandra, who were probably three of the most vicious Wolves he'd ever met, would kill it.

     His sharp eyes detected an old plainroamer, battle-scarred and packed with muscle. However, the male had an open gash not only on its right flank, but also on its right hind leg, both of which would stretch if it were to run too fast. It was the perfect prey. Fenris sent a mental signal to Morrigan, Geri and Freki. The three Wolves gave a positive response and he rushed forward, snarling and barking.

     Startled, the plainroamers, whirled around and bound away from him. He put on a burst of speed and then he was in the middle of them, large hooves landing on the ground mere feet from his paws. The beasts were panicked, crying out in terror. However he quickly caught sight of the lumbering male. It limped along, blood already flowing crimson from the wounds.

     He ran at it, nipping at the powerful hindquarters, slowly separating it from the rest of the group. He was soon joined by Morrigan and the twins, and they worked together in a symphony of death to isolate the prey.

     In only a few minutes, it was on its own, galloping strong compared to what Fenris had thought at first. Teras, Lycaon and their team rushed in, herding the prey away from the Shepherds. Satisfied with his job, Fenris lay down between the long stalks of grass, panting. The rest of the hunt was not his job, and he trusted his soulmate to bring back the kill.

A/N) so, a bit late, but still present! I'll try my best update on Thursday, but I'm not so sure because I start school on Wednesday afternoon...
Anyways, what did you think of this? A little more character building and a little less action than usual, but chapters like these are important. They serve to make you love the characters that way when I kill 'em off you cry 😈😈
But do still vote, comment, share if you want to and like this story, please!
- Lexie

Do y'all still have school?

Well duh I just said so 😂😂🙄