Chapter 21: Winning the careers over

ALL RIGHTS TO SUZANNE COLLINS!!! 😝😝😝

Katniss' POV:

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?!" Haymitch yelled at me. 

Great, here it goes. I thought of making a sassy comment, but quickly gave up as I met Haymitch's flaming eyes. Haymitch began walking across the room, while Peeta and Effie were both shaking their heads.

"You're screwed. You really are." Haymitch finally said, falling onto the sofa and taking another sip of his liquor.

After a moment of silence, Haymitch glances quickly at Peeta and Effie who were listening to every word of ours. He then turns to me.

"Can I talk to you in private?" He asks and I give a short nod.

I follow him to the mentor section of the train. I sit on the table, while he closes the sound isolating door behind us.

"Look, I don't know what game you're playing, but it's a dangerous one." Haymitch finally says.

"Okay, okay I get it. I made a lot of mistakes. I will continue like nothing happened. I won't practice my shooting, nor talk to any of the careers. Things will be alright again." I say.

"You don't understand do you? The things that you did, they can't be undone." He sighs. "You can't just 'stop doing anything and wait for them to forget about it'. They won't forget about it!" He yells and then shakes his head, taking another sip of his liquor.

"Okay, okay, Jesus. What should I do then?" I ask, annoyed.

There's a moment of silence and I could see Haymitch desperately trying to think of a solution. His eyes flickered for a moment and I think he came up with something. As I was about to ask him what he thought of, his eyes darkened again and he shook his head slightly, letting his blond hair cover his face. He seemed to be weighing his option. Then he sighs and begins to speak.

"We only have one option." He finally says.

"What is it?" I ask curiously.

"You have to join the careers."

                                                            ---------------------------------------------------------

"EXCUSE ME WHAT?!" I yell, standing up. Haymitch sighs. "HAYMITCH THERE'S NO WAY I'M JOINING THESE BLOODTHIRSTY KILLERS!!!" I yell again.

"Oh, you seemed to be completely fine with their company and few moments ago."

"IT'S DIFFERENT!" I rushed to defend myself. "I WOULD MUCH RATHER DIE ALONE, THAN BEING BACKSTABBED, LITERALLY, IN THE FIRST FEW MINUTES OF THE GAMES! I AM NOT GOING TO ALLY WITH THE CAREERS!" I yelled and began walking to the door in order to get the fuck out of here.

"DON'T YOU SEE SWEETHEART?! YOU HAVE NO DAMN CHOICE!" Haymitch exploded. I was one step away from the door, but for some reason my feet were frozen. 

"SURE, GO AHEAD, LEAVE, GO DIE IF YOU WANT TO! BUT KNOW THAT IT'S YOU FAULT AND NOBODY ELSE'S FAULT! I'M NOT GIVING YOU AN OPTION FOR YOU TO CHOOSE, I'M TELLING YOU WHAT YOU WILL DO!" he continued to yell.

"You WILL join the careers, whether you like or not."

Fuck this. Fuck it all. Why can't I be at home?! With Prim. Wit Gale. With my mother. I even miss Buttercup! I can't deal with all of this! As if the Hunger Games didn't bring me enough stress, now I am forced to be in an alliance with monstrous killers. 

Jesus Katniss, what were you thinking?! You've already screwed up your relationship with the careers.

First you hit,  kneed, bit and shot the "leader of the careers". Then you were sassy as fuck towards his district partner! Good job! Now there's no way you're getting in the alliance. Or if they let you in, it's only going to be so that they can kill you during the bloodbath.