Chapter 1

2 WEEKS LATER - THURSDAY, APRIL 4th

I was surrounded by four buff men. They had me cornered on the unstable roof of a building. They all had torn clothes and had purple circles under their eyes. I looked around, the only option of escape would be to jump down.

Should I try? I think to myself. I look down again and see that it's a far fall.

Closing my eyes, I take a deep breath and look at the edge of the roof. I backed up towards it, the four men coming closer to me. I had no choice. I took another deep breath and jumped down the three story building, scared that I might break something. Everything was going slow motion for me. Why were they after me? All this began some weeks ago, and why me? Why not Jessie? Thoughts blinked through my head as I continued falling. Slower than ever. The men trying to catch me watched from the roof in surprise and fear. I didn't know why they wanted me, but I didn't want to take my chances.

I closed my eyes and ducked my head to my chest, waiting for my body to have an impact on the ground. But the thing I didn't know was that I'm far from my death.

A WEEK EARLIER - THURSDAY, MARCH 29

I walked down the path that wound down the side of a hill. Going up, it led to my middle school, going down led to my neighborhood. I was walking home with my brother from another boring day at school.

Let me tell you about myself. My name's Lily James Idaha. I have chin length brown hair, pale skin, and green eyes. I'm in 8th grade and I get bullied a lot in school. Just this morning I got punched in the face by one of my bullies. Her name is Dove, but you shouldn't care much.

I moved to Arizona three years ago and now I have to go to this horrible school with my twin brother. His name is Jessie Idaha and has blond hair, blue eyes, and tan skin that makes all the girls fall for him. (ew) You would say we don't look alike at all, which is true.

Jessie and I turned a corner on the sidewalks I adjusted my black hoodie. I know it's hot and almost summer time, but I wanted to ok?

I shot at glance at my twin brother, which is hard because he's a lot taller than me. Jessie just rolled his eyes and put a hand on my shoulder. "You alright 'lil' sis?" he asked with a chuckle.

"Shut up!" I groan at him and smacked my brother's hand. He flinched back and rolled his eyes once more.

Man! It seems like all Jessie does is tease me and roll his eyes. I swear he's targeting me!

I sigh and start walking a little faster. Another difference between Jessie and I, is that I'm faster than him and more alert. I don't get scared that easily.

"Lily!" My slow brother tries to jog to catch up to me. I laugh at him and start jogging as well. I look over my shoulder to see him running after me like a cereal killer!

Now it's my turn to roll my eyes.

I start running as well and soon we near our home. A small brick apartment building with three small floors and two small bedrooms. Not much, but it's home to me and my brother.

My mom and dad are always working till late, so I could take my time coming home if school wasn't super boring. I mean, I still have taekwondo with my weirdo twin, but we walk anyways.

I run to the door and take a deep breath as I put in a password to unlock the front door.

We have a system where the front door needs a password and not a key to unlock it.