Chapter 18 - Tara

Michael

I walked away from Riley and Ashton. I felt like shit for yelling at her like that but it had to be done. To protect her. If Tara thought for one second I cared about her she would ruin everything. I glanced over my shoulder for a moment. The guilt hit me like a semi truck when I saw Ashton pull Riley into his arms. He looked up at me and nodded. Ashton knew the plan. Even told me it was a bad idea.

"Don't do that to her Michael. There has to be another way" he said "Tell her the truth, she can act"

I figured he of all people would be happy about this. "why are you defending her all of the sudden?"

"I just finally realized what she means to you and I don't want you to mess things up"

"I'm doing it" I told him "with or without your help"

I can't risk what Tara could do to her. I would rather lose her. I just feel bad for ruing the trip. At the boardwalk I found Luke, Calum, and Carly playing games in an arcade. "Party starts in ten minutes. Same spot as before"

They all perked up and smiled. "Oh an luke" I added

He bit at his lip ring. "yeah?"

"Don't you ever fucking ask me to do that again."

And once again I walked away. Without another word. So much for new beginnings.

Riley

"Just come to the party, Riley. You can't sit here alone until midnight" Ashton said.

When Michael was gone I decided to walk back to the airport. I just wanted to be alone.

"Yes I can" I said flatly

He took a seat next to me on the curb and I felt oddly comfortable. When Ashton's not acting like a tough asshole he can be really sweet. Michael and the guys are really lucky to have him. "Come on, Riley. Michael didn't mean those things. He's said worse to me"

"Why do you forgive him? Correction. How do you forgive him?"

He shrugged but if it was any lighter out I would have said he was blushing. "I-He's one of my best friends. I'll always forgive him." he said "I understand the type of person he is and the lengths he will go to to protect those he cares about."

Wait. Lengths he will go to protect those he cares about. "Wait. What about that last part?"

His eyes went wide "what do you mean" he tried to play dumb

"Did Michael yell at me to "protect" me?" I put air quotes around protect.

"No" ash said quickly "no why would you think that?"

"Don't lie to me, Ashton"

He looked at me with guilt filled puppy eyes. "He doesn't want anything to happen to you. I can't explain it to you because it's not my secret to tell. But Riley if you care about him at all you have to pretend tonight that you don't care about him."

I couldn't. I couldn't just pretend to hate or not know Michael. I needed answers. "Take me to Tara"

Ashton shook his head repeatedly "no way. Riley, we're going to go to the party, have a few drinks. You can't talk to Michael. You can't even know Michael."

This was fucking ridiculous. Was she some kind of serial killer? "Fuck that"

I started walking towards the party and Ashton rushed to my side. "Riley you don't understand. She got Michael into some messed up shit. You need to stay away" he puffed out as we walked. My tiny legs were practically running.

I couldn't just give up like that though. "I can't just-"

He lightly grabbed my arm for me to stop and we locked eyes."please, Riley. Michael would kill me if I let you get yourself into something you know absolutely nothing about."

"THEN TELL ME WHAT ITS ABOUT"

He put his face in his hands and let out a massive exhale. "I can't"

"Then I'm going to that party and I'm asking around until I find her"

I spun on my heel and was on my way to the party when I heard "Dealing and prostitution"

I stopped dead in my tracks. Michael involved in that. No way. I turned to face him. "what did you just say?"

"I'm only going to tell you what's necessary. Michael can tell you his part in everything. Tara is tied up in this prostitution/drug organization. She feeds on both good people and people in dark places. Michael being one. He got lucky though. He didn't get too far into it. Tara makes people think that joining will change their life for the better. Sleeping with movie stars in fancy hotels and getting paid for it. Getting high with the highest paid rock stars at the best hollywood parties. Thats until you spiral out of control."

"No." I kept shaking my head. He wouldn't. Michael wouldn't get involved with something like that. Ashton's just trying to scare me. Right? This stuff only happens in movies. "You're lying" I said

"I'm not, Riley" he stepped towards me. I didn't move. "so please just do what I'm telling you"

"At a time like this you want me to stay away from Michael? He's at a party with some sick girl who pimped him out and pumped him full of drugs"

"He did all of that willingly" Ashton said with no emotion.

"HE WAS DEPRESSED AND SUICIDAL, ASHTON"

He rested a hand on my cheek. "please calm down. I know it's a lot to take in but please. Michael wants to protect you and he knows how to deal with people like Tara. Just go to the party, have a few drinks and everything will be okay tomorrow."

I felt tears swelling in my eyes. I never expected this. I knew he was hurting but I never imagined he would put himself through something like that. Ashton's eyes were searching my face. Not pausing in one spot. Maybe I shouldn't trust him after the way he treated me but I do. I nodded into his hand. "okay, okay fine. Just don't leave me at the party."

"I won't. I promise" he said, hand still on my cheek.

His Hazel eyes stopped on mine. Although it was kinda dark I could still see the colors that made up his eyes. The greens and yellows. It was beautiful. Suddenly I was aware of all of my senses. The feeling of his warm hand on my cheek, the smell of his cologne. I could hear my pulse in my ears, drowning out the sound of the cars passing by. His eyes flickered down to my lips, then back to my eyes. My mouth was dry. His eyes flickered back down. Before I knew it his lips were pressed against mine. He didn't pull away. Instead his lips parted slightly, I followed his actions.

"What the hell?" A voice said from behind me.

A/N: ehhh idk if I like this chapterrrr lol