31. madly

NICK

I was trying to go to sleep when Dominick called me.

I've found myself having a hard time going to sleep whenever Rachel isn't on the bed next to me. I know that this thing between us started out with a contract and I just saw her as a friend for a long time but she has become a real wife to me in many ways.

I have a bad feeling in my gut as I drive to Dominick's house. It's a little past nine at night so it's not that late but still, it's strange for him to ask me to come over at this time. I doubt that it has to do with the contract that I signed with him. In fact, one of the conditions I asked for was for him to not contact me unless absolutely necessary. I don't want to run into the possibility of being caught in making deals with a criminal. So I know it must be serious if he asked me to come.

I'm sure it has to do with Rachel.

He said she was safe but I won't believe it until I see her. I need to see her.

The house is dark when I arrive. It's almost like there's no one there but I see Rachel's car parked outside. Dominick's men also walk in the shadows, guarding the house. I knock twice on the door and Dominick's man, Jay, opens it for me seconds later.

"This way," he says as he walks down the hallway.

I follow him to the living room. When I walk in, I see Dominick sitting on the couch facing me. Rachel is sitting next to him, with her back to me, she's running her hands through her hair.

Dominick looks up and meets my gaze. His face seems strained, as if he wants to tell me something but doesn't want to say it in front of Rachel. Or maybe he just looks stressed, I can't tell. After a moment, Rachel follows his gaze and she turns around and looks at me.

I catch my breath when I see her. She's hurt. The left side of her face is red and swollen as if she was hit by something or as if someone hit her. I notice her hand is bandaged and her eyes are puffy and red. I know she's been crying. Confusion and anger fill up my chest. I take a step forward. "Rachel-what happened?"

She stands up and looks at Dominick. "Dad, will leave me alone with Nick?"

It's strange to hear her call Dominick dad. He hesitates but stands up. "I'll be right outside," he says looking at me. A warning. As if I would hurt her.

Once he's out of the room, I walk over to Rachel until I'm standing in front of her. "What happened, Rachel?" I ask her, almost demanding an answer out of her. I want to know who hurt her. I want to know who I need to hurt for daring to touch her.

She looks away, crossing her arms around her chest. I notice that she's wearing Dominick's suit jacket. None of this feels right. I know that something really bad happened.

"I'm sorry, Nick," She says quietly.

"Rachel, please tell me what happened." I'm impatient. I need to know now.

She looks up at me with her brown eyes. "Yesterday, Linda told me that it had been Victor who told her to file that complaint against you." She begins and I frown, wondering what Linda and Victor have to do with any of this. My blood boils at the possibility that it was Victor who did this to her. "I went to see Victor," she says slowly, as if confirming my thought.

"Okay," I say, urging her to keep going.

"He told me that he had a recording of him and Linda that would prove that Linda is lying but he wouldn't give it to me. He-" she looks away. "-he wanted something in return."

"What did he want?" I ask though I know that if I were to guess, I probably could.

"He wanted me to have sex with him," Rachel says looking ashamed.