34. honored

Dominick's black Escalade pulls up to the driveway as Nick and I are heading into the house. We stop and turn around as Dominick is stepping out of the SUV.

I know he has good news the moment I take a look at the proud smile on his lips.

"I'm glad both of you are here," he says as he walks up the porch steps, Jay follows him closely. He looks at me and smiles. "How are you, baby? Feeling better?"

I nod. "Yes, dad. Looks like you have some good news."

"I do," he grins mischievously looking at Nick then back at me. "My dumbass men finally caught Victor. He won't ever hurt you again, baby." He says touching my cheek with his hand.

I don't know what to say because I don't know how that makes me feel. I feel relieved for sure, but I also feel this fear for Victor and I hate myself for it. Why do I still feel pity for him after what he did?

"What are you going to do with him?" I ask him, my voice is a bit shaky and I feel Nick turn to look at me curiously.

There is a glint in Dominick's eyes when he looks at me and then it's gone. "I don't think you really want an answer to that."

I nod slowly. "Right."

Dominick glances at Nick. "Why don't you let me speak with Nick for a minute?" He asks looking at me.

I narrow my eyes suspiciously. "About what?"

"Just boring contract stuff."

I don't believe him but I turn around and walk into the house without putting up a fight. I know what this is about but I can't tell them because then they'll know I was eavesdropping their conversation last night. This is about Nick asking for five minutes with Victor and I don't know how I feel about it.

I walk up the stairs and go to the familiar room I feel I should call mine by now. I stand by the window and look outside. It's around six in the evening and the sun is getting ready to go down making the sky look a beautiful shade of orange. A sky that Victor probably won't ever see again. The events of last night begin to replay in my head for the millionth time. The way he grabbed me. The way he hit me. I think I'm trying to remember how much I despise him so I don't feel as guilty for what's about to happen to him.

It's about ten minutes when I hear the door of the room open behind me. I turn and see Nick walking in.

"Hey," he says looking down as he shuts the door behind him.

"Hey," I say turning back around and facing the window. I hear him walk towards me and then he puts his arms around my waist from behind. He places his lips on the crook of my neck and kisses me there, making my knees feel weak.

"Are you alright?" He asks, his lips moving against my skin.

"What did Dominick want?" I ask, forcing myself to focus though it seems impossible. It feels so good to have Nick's body pressed against mine.

"He wants to go over the contract again. I'm going to meet him later tonight."

I feel disappointed because I know he's lying to me. I understand why he's doing it. He knows exactly what I would say to him if he told me the truth. I purse my lips then turn around. He doesn't drop his arms, he just adjusts his arms around me. I place my hand on his chest, touching his silky red tie before looking up at him. "Where are you really going? Don't lie to me, please."

He clenches his jaw. "He's taking me to see the photographer."

"Why?" I ask quietly looking into his eyes.

"I just want to talk to him."

"Yeah right, Nick," I say shaking my head. I try to walk away from him but he just tightens his arms around me, keeping me in place.