37. in control

Dominick is waiting for Nick and me outside the office as we're leaving later in the day. We get on the backseat of his SUV and he tells us that he's leaving.

"I'll be withdrawing my business from the company," he says looking at Nick.

"Why?" I ask. It's not that I don't think those are good news, because they are, but it's so strange for Dominick to do that after everything he did to keep using Nick's company.

He looks at me and smiles. "I'm doing this for you, Rachel. My enemies have found me, and I don't want to risk the chance of them finding out about it and Nick getting caught up in all of it. It was safe before because no one knew I was in New York but now...it's no longer in anyone's best interest."

I reach for his hand and squeeze it. "Thank you, dad, you have no idea how much that means to me."

He puts his arm around me and embraces me in a hug.

"Are you going to be alright?" I ask as we pull away.

"I'll be fine, baby. You worry about your safety. Thank you for giving me the chance to be your dad again."

I bite my lip, trying to fight back the tears. I didn't expect to be so emotional. I knew Dominick wasn't going to stay here forever. He's always moving around. I wish I could tell him how much I appreciate that he came here. He's helped me so much through everything that's happened. Yes, he made my life more complicated, but he also made it easier at the same time. I didn't realize how much I missed him until now that we have to say goodbye.

"Don't cry, baby," he says tightening his arm around me. I place my cheek on his chest as I let him comfort me. "Take care of her, Nick. She's my most valuable treasure. I'll whoop your ass if something ever happens to her."

"Dad." I scold but I'm smiling.

Nick smiles. "That won't be necessary, Dominick. I love her. She'll be safe with me."

"I know you do." He looks down at me. "I'll withdraw my men entirely, but I will check on you from time to time so don't freak out if you ever see Jay across the street."

Jay smiles at me with a nod through the rearview mirror.

I smile. "Okay. You be safe and take care of mom."

"I will." He kisses my forehead. "I love you, baby."

I close my eyes as I hug him again. "I love you too, dad."

I know this could easily be the last time I see him. I don't know when or if I will ever see him again. The thought of something happening to him terrifies me but I know that he will do anything to stay alive. He loves his life too much. Plus, he has all these men protecting him all the time. I can only hope that they will keep him alive for many more years.

"This is from your mom," he says handing me a photo album. "So, you have something to show our potential grandkids. You can tell them I was a lawyer." He winks at me.

I laugh, clutching the album in my hand. "I hope you guys are able to meet them if I have any kids."

He smiles at my words. "For sure, baby." He squeezes my shoulder. "I'll always be here for you, remember that. Anything you need, just call Jay. I'm always changing numbers but his will not change."

I nod. "Okay, dad, thank you again."

He hugs me tightly. "Now, get out before I take you with me."

Nick opens the door and gets out. I look at my dad and smile on last time before getting out. Nick shuts the door and the SUV drives off. I wonder where he's going. I know it's not safe for me to know. I also know this is for the best. It's not safe for us to be together. It's kind of sad. I'll never be able to have my dad around the way other people do.