45. you do that

NICK

The idea to renew our vows in the hospital comes after things quiet down. The police have interrogated me for what seems to have been a million times even when I always tell them the same thing. No, I didn't see anyone. No, I don't know who it could be terrorizing my family. No, nothing has changed. It's been a week since I woke up at the hospital and I am desperate to get out of here. I know I won't be able to go back to work. The doctor suggests I take it easy for the next two months. No working. No working out. No activities that would require force.

"What if she does all the work?" I ask the doctor as he gives the instructions.

"Nick." Rachel blushes and I grin because she's so fucking adorable.

Even the doctor looks a little embarrassed as he chuckles. "Take it easy for at least one month."

"Three weeks and it's a deal."

"One month," Rachel says with a nod. "Don't worry, doctor, I got this. There won't be any sex." She gives me a look.

"We'll see about that." I smirk at her and she rolls her eyes at me.

"I can have you discharged tomorrow." the doctor continues. "I'll give Mrs. Collins a copy of all the things that must be followed. Any questions for me?"

"No, doctor, thank you," Rachel says at the same time I shake my head.

"Excuse me," he says then walks out with the nurse after him.

"You can't talk about our sex life in front of other people," Rachel says after they leave.

"You're the one who said the word." I point out.

She laughs. "You made me."

I reach for her hand and pull her towards me, wishing I could take off her clothes right now and pull her on the bed with me. She's dressed for work; wearing one of those black skirts that hug her hips in all the right places. She's wearing a red blouse tucked in with black heels and red lips. God. I fucking love her in red. It's her color.

I kiss her hungrily. The doctor tells me I can't have sex and it's suddenly all I want. This is going to be the longest month of my life.

"I don't want to leave you," she says against my lips.

"I need you to." I remind her looking into her eyes. "You're the CEO until I'm back."

The police have finally finished their investigation and the office is finally open today. Everyone is back to work. I know there's a lot to do and I need Rachel there because I can't be there like I want to.

She shakes her head disapprovingly. "I can't believe you made me the power of attorney. You should have told me."

"I knew you wouldn't want me to."

I did it about a month ago when I was going over all the legal documents with Edward. I didn't even hesitate. I didn't tell her for two reasons: 1) I knew she wouldn't want me to and 2) it's one of those things you do that you don't think you're ever going to need. I have to thank Edward for making sure I have all the documents in order. If I would have died, I would want Rachel to benefit from everything I have. I can die peacefully knowing she would be well taken care of. Not that she needs my money but as her husband, I want to take care of her in all aspects, including financially.

"Why didn't you leave Edward?"

"Because I wanted you," I say, and her face softens at my words. I touch the tip of her nose. "Why are you so worried about it?"