Chapter 1: Inhumane work hours

Irene Kim

What's the closest thing to magic? Some people say it's in Science, Music, Arts... It depends who you ask. But if you ask me? I'd say without any moment's hesitation that it's definitely words.

I'm not a religious person but I always tend to recall going to a mandatory mass on a Sunday (as my parents are Catholic) and hearing the homily mention that in the Creation, first there was The Word and from there manifested any physical thing we've become accustomed to. Isn't that just powerful? Why do you think parents anxiously await their children's first word? Or why people who are well-read are seemingly wiser than most?

It's because words are made to express, evoke, commemorate, inform, signify, direct and traverse. How can we walk in someone else's shoes? Read a novel(you'll emphatize with the protagonist). Pick someone's mind? Converse. Gain knowledge? Take an encyclopedia or maybe read an article from a quick google search. Be in a different world altogether? Hah, read a fantasy or sci-fi novel! Isn't it like transmigration, teleportation, reincarnation, time-travel, and/or clairvoyance? And that's just things I can pull out atop of my head! Words are definitely heaven-defying entities.

Since young, I've always had a somewhat affinity with words. I'm a very observant, sentimental, yet also a logical person. I immerse myself and not at all (if that makes sense?).. Like an active yet also a bit passive on-looker to humanity's ways to be able to absorb its essence in every bit of my meticulously chosen words which are meant to evoke an authentic experience. If you're still in the dark, I am definitely a writer. A creative one to be exact.

Right now, I'm swimming in dough (money hehe) because I just got paid from one of my published novels this year. I'm planning to go on a hiatus for a while since my mind's brain cells need some rest.

Speaking of such, you might be thinking that I, Irene Kim-a full-blooded, twenty three year old Korean lady, an accomplished writer- who's currently here in New York might be having good night's rests for these past few weeks of no work load, huh?

Hahahahahahahhaha....... You can not be more WRONG.

Despite my seemingly honorable status as your resident best-selling author, I am actually a reading trash. As much as I love to write, I also love reading! (Maybe I love reading even more....or not... It's a hard choice since they are two sides of the same coin...) And not just your regular-slash-casual reader-oh no. I'm that maniac who reads an entire series without bathing or going out for a week until it's done. (Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, I'm lookin' at ya) Bookmarks? What's that? Haven't heard of it in my life.

Right now it's already 2 AM. I am in my apartment, my hand hung at an opened bag of Cheetos as I stared blankly at the ceiling. This is always how it feels after reading a good book.

Mi corazon es hueco. 속이 빈 마음. Pusong nawalan. Un coeur creux. A hollowed heart.

You see, I like doing these tricks in my mind so that I'm always sharp as a linguist. Mind gaming myself to hone that brain of mine, as to not fall short in the thought department. (They say if you learn a different language, your memory improves. Is that true y'all?)

As a writer, words and a large range of vocabulary are our ammunition. Languages are our guns/vessel. The more we understand, all the more our wisdom we fill in our future works.

Speaking of which, after three straight days, I already finished reading a book. It's called "Divine Doctor: The daughter of the first wife" by Mao Shi Liu. I got the raw (written in Mandarin Chinese characters) through a trusted app I bought it in. Recently, I've been on a phase of reading about reincarnation, revenge, and romance novels.. Mostly about imperial families and the ancient world that mixes in some modern and fantasy spices here and there. To be more specific, I've been reading about historical, fantasy novels nowadays. (Last time it was classical novels, then horror/gore.. and the vicious cycle goes on..)

As I am feeling empty as a shell, I finally popped the last cheeto in my mouth. I checked the clock and it's already 3:27 AM. I got up. I need a quick fix.. You might be thinking, "That's so late!" Well, let me tell you, most of my works are written in midnight while I struggle to rid my fingers of cheese from dirtying my hard-working keyboard.

This inhumane work hours, only us contractual creatives understand. Life as a best-selling author isn't as glamorous as most people think. The only good thing about this is that I found a place that paces well with my sporadic (debatably toxic) lifestyle, NEW F*CKING YORK! The city that never sleeps for the sleep-deprived writer/reader.

**

Later on, entonces, (hahahha redundant linguist is back) I found myself in this roddy "dark alley" book store. It's riggidy, yes, but it's not without its charm.

Sure, dilapidated old books might be off-putting for most but I got most of my precious classical collections here. This place is a treasure trove of hidden gems! Signed books from the 19th century (or even older) writers and icons that can only be the last of their kind. Where else in the world can I get those?

Also, having it as a private matter makes it all the more irresistible to me. Like Mitch Albom once wrote in his infamous novel 'The First Phone call from Heaven', he said "Heaven is often held close for fear of losing it, like a butterfly cupped in a child's hands."

That's exactly how I feel. I was fist bumping to myself mid-air as I was standing in-between bookshelves, when I seem to glance upon a glimmering flash of luminescence.

My head whipped into that direction. Was it just my imagination? I instantaneously walked that way and found an interestingly browned book. Despite it's look, the blurb on the back is really engaging. I excitedly took it out to the old man managing the bookstore. A new world to immerse in! Well, right after I get some sleep.. (I finally feel drowsy)

**

After a good cup of my personally brewed tea, I casually browsed the book I got. Based on its thickness, I estimate around two to four days.. Depending on how good it really is. Good thing I have different flavors of cup noodles and water that'll last me a month.

Right after opening it, everything else was in a haze. I was fully immersed in the world of the narrative and I absolutely can't believe just how beautifully written this is! Also the author's name's SaGaNa (yes the capitalization is like that..) which is obviously a pseudonym... although I do know the word "sagana" on it's own means bountiful in Filipino. (Perks of being a wide-read maniac, I'm tellin' ya)

Anyway I'm glad to know it's right up my current phase. Historical fantasy! The plot talks about Bryce Gregory Veritas Lievsky's political battle and romance story towards a transmigrated lady called Ava Mittletorie (used to be a talented war hero in her past life). It's a good read! Especially the part where in the protagonist and antagonist had a secret friendship as children while both of them are oblivious to their identities. It's heart-wenching when they reached the part where they discovered both of them are rivals. And to be honest what takes the cake for me is the main antagonist, Magnus Baudin Veritas Courtenay, the one and only purple-eyed, crimson haired duke of the kingdom of Windsor.

An excerpt that gave me wordgasms:

"Magnus stood there with an unwavering stance. The darkness slowly crept in, starting from his emptied hand.. little by little spreading unto his psyche. There's something eerily comforting with the consuming black that was enveloping his entire being. For others, darkness is a cold, unforgiving void.. But for someone who has never had a glimpse of light, a familiar sensation is but a friend."